Sick rabbit???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knight.bunny

Reaction score
Hi I need your help.. my rabbit is acting weird, he’s not eating even when I put his favourite treat I front of him. He’s doing this things sorta like twitching when I touch him in certain spots or try to put food under or near his mouth he starts twitching or does some sort of jumpy thing. Before she was cleaning himself and his head just sorta kept moving side to side like twitching, it was weird and he has his eyes closed when I’m here but when I leave and come back his eyes are wide open, idk if he’s just tired cause his schedule is a little off but before his ears were cold and then they all of a sudden got warm and then got hotter and now there cold.. his breathing before was more rapid and then it slowed down idk what to do... and we can’t go to the vet, he laying down like he usually does when he relaxes but he doesn’t seem to want to move at all now.. his ears r cold now and his breathing has slowed down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2
Your rabbit probably has Gi-stasis. Gi-stasis is fatal if left untreated, but there are several things you can do to help him. I would not syringe feed just yet.

• Get the rabbit to a vet. If taking him in is not possible, call the vet. Your rabbit has a high chance of dying if it is not taken to the vet. I cannot emphasize how much this rabbit needs to go to the vet.
  • Give infant gas drops (you can buy them from Walmart or a pharmacy). You can give him 1-2 ml every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours or as needed. If you don't have gas drops you can brew fennel seeds, peppermint tea, or chamomile tea in hot water and syringe feed it to your rabbit after it is cooled. NO HONEY. Syringe it to your rabbit every hour. These should help get gas out. It is a substitute for Infant Gas Drops.
  • Give tummy massages to get the gas moving.
  • Make your rabbit run around. It may be that you must push him around and make him mad in order to get him moving, but it will be worth it. Moving around will get his gut moving.
  • Give fresh pineapple juice. It can help with dissolving hair in the intestines which could be clogging him up. If you don’t have fresh pineapple you can use canned pineapple, but it does not work as well.
  • Give fresh veggies (Romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, and kale). Soak them in water for a minute and feed them to your rabbit while wet that way your rabbit gets water. You can crush some pellets and put the pellet powder on the wet veggies.

If your rabbit has not eaten or pooped in 8-12 hours follow the instructions below:
  • Syringe feed Critical Care 6 times a day. If you don’t have Critical Care you need to soak pellets in water until they are mushy. Then smash them in the water until you have a mixture the consistency of pancake batter.
  • Syringe water 6 times a day. Fill a bowl with water so that the rabbit can drink freely. Add some apple juice or pineapple juice to make it more appealing.

If you need to order Critical Care, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FKACXO/?coliid=I1XGIN0R5O7U7D&colid=1WPEFZJ54GMSE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.

Hello, I know you're stressed out but I'm finding it a little hard to understand what you mean. Do you think she has GI stasis or something else? If she isn't eating, as Mariam+Theo said it is a likely sign of GI stasis. If she has stasis, her temperature will likely drop and she'll become quite cold. You will need to act really quickly, baby gas drops (simethicone) would be the first thing that I'll do. Aside from that Mariam+Theo has great advice.

Ok thank you very much, I cannot take him to the vet right now or go to get the gas drops so I will feed him wet lettuc with pellets and make him run around, thankyou

Hello, I know you're stressed out but I'm finding it a little hard to understand what you mean. Do you think she has GI stasis or something else? If she isn't eating, as Mariam+Theo said it is a likely sign of GI stasis. If she has stasis, her temperature will likely drop and she'll become quite cold. You will need to act really quickly, baby gas drops (simethicone) would be the first thing that I'll do. Aside from that Mariam+Theo has great advice.
His ear temperature is the temperature of his body right?? Before they were cold and then kept getting hotter then they got cold again, well they are getting warm now so I’m confused about what’s happening with him..

Yes, cold ears are a sign of body temperature. I would wrap a heater in a towel and put him on it. Since you don't have gas drops you can brew fennel seeds, peppermint tea, or chamomile tea in hot water and syringe feed it to your rabbit after it is cooled. NO HONEY. Syringe it to your rabbit every hour. These should help get gas out. It is a substitute for gas drops. I would also do lots of tummy massages. You can put a heating pad on his belly during the massage because that will also help.

Ok thank you very much, I cannot take him to the vet right now or go to get the gas drops so I will feed him wet lettuc with pellets and make him run around, thankyou
GI Stasis isn't really as simple as that. If he does eat the veggies then it was likely just a scare but if he does have stasis, he won't eat the veggies. I'd recommend doing the stomach massages as Mariam+Theo said following the video that she linked. And since you can't get to a vet or get the baby gas drops, syringe feeding the teas that she said will substitute. It is a pretty urgent situation if his temp has dropped and he isn't eating.

GI Stasis isn't really as simple as that. If he does eat the veggies then it was likely just a scare but if he does have stasis, he won't eat the veggies. I'd recommend doing the stomach massages as Mariam+Theo said following the video that she linked. And since you can't get to a vet or get the baby gas drops, syringe feeding the teas that she said will substitute. It is a pretty urgent situation if his temp has dropped and he isn't eating.
Ok thankyou all for helping, I’m giving him some hay right now in front of him and I can’t tell if he actually eating and swallowing it or if he just moving out of the way, I will try the messages

My bunny can out all of a sudden but he seems scared and is listening maybe it’s because my neighbours dogs r barking outside , but he came out of his cage now...

You could use your own body heat by holding him to your chest. I would wrap a small heating pad in a towel and put that near him. Or fill a plastic water bottle with hot water, wrap it in a towel and then put it near him. Make sure that none of the things are hot enough to burn him. Just enough to keep him warm. I also run my rabbits ears when he’s cold. I don’t know if it actually helps but he does warm up a little.

Latest posts

Back