Sick New Zealand white pregnant doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yethia

Reaction score
Hello my new zealand white is pregnant and due to deliver, but recently I notice her change in breath, I don't know if it's cold, am not sure. So just this morning I noticed her eye got very pinkish and have some white discharge on her eye lid. She doesn't eat and drink during day time, only eat and drink in the evening and at night.
Please what can I do to make her better.

How many days pregnant is she? What do you mean 'change in breath'? Is she breathing faster or do you mean her breathing is noisy? Is she not eating and drinking during the day because your daytime temperatures are hot? If so, how hot is it during the day and do you do anything to help keep your rabbits cool in hot weather?

She's 3weeks and 5 days now. Her breath is slow and noisy at first but not noisy anymore when I checked today. We in cold season, not really hot.

She could just be about to give birth soon. That could explain the lack of eating and breathing issue. Just make sure she has a nest box and lots of hay or other safe bedding to build her nest. And after the mom has given birth, she needs to be fed plenty of food to support nursing kits.

In regards to the eye issue, if the eyelid is red and inflamed and there is white sticky discharge, this means she probably has an eye infection, possibly conjunctivitis. And that means she needs to be given antibiotic eye drops for at least 2-4 weeks. I don't know what you have available in your country, but something like ciprofloxacin eye drops or chloramphenicol eye ointment would work.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Conjunctivitis

Hello my new zealand white is pregnant and due to deliver, but recently I notice her change in breath, I don't know if it's cold, am not sure. So just this morning I noticed her eye got very pinkish and have some white discharge on her eye lid. She doesn't eat and drink during day time, only eat and drink in the evening and at night.
Please what can I do to make her better.
Hi, oh no! Has she been vaccinated for myxomatosis? It may be that in which case you will need to see a vet immediately. This happened to my bunny and the chances of them surviving miximatosis is very slim, even if they’ve been vaccinated. Mine sadly died as she was pregnant and we thought she was going to give birth so we waited but it was actually myxomatosis. Bests of luck 💗

Latest posts

Back