Sick bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datsun1979

Reaction score
Hello I am new here on this forum and I have asick bunny at home. She has not eaten for the past couple of days andwhile I have been able to get her to drink some water mixed withpedialite she still doesn't seem to have an appetite for food. Any helpis appreciated.:(

Welcome aboard, Datsun,

It could be GI Stasis, a blockage, or her teeth or a number of things.I'd start by getting some NutriCal for your little one and giving heran inch of it as it comes in a tube like toothpaste. The sooner thebetter. She must keep her nutrient levels up. NutriCal is advertised asa Nutritional Supplement for Cats and Dogs and it provides the rabbitswith the nutrients it needs while it boosts their immune systems, haslaxatone in it, and increases their appetite.

Time is of the essence. I'd get it right away. It can cost anywhere from $10-18 in a pet shop or pet supply place.

Also, check out the link in Carolyn's Top Picks - A Cheat Sheet forRabbit Care - GI Stasis - Page 10. It'll give you a list of homeremedies you can try.

I'll be thinking and praying for your little one. Please keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Here's the link to get you started. If you thinkyour little one ingested carpet or material, that's a different type ofblockage and these ideas won't work as it won't break down like ahairball would. Since this is molting season, it's not uncommon forrabbits to go through this at this time of year. Weather or stress canbring on GI Stasis.

GI Stasis: Page 10 has a wrap up in this posthttp://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=2532&forum_id=1 orhttp://fig.cox.miami.edu/Faculty/Dana/ileus.html

Will be thinking of you.

-Carolyn

I suggest you take your bunny to the vets andquick as they go down hill very fast and if they don,t eat for to longtheir stomachs shut down.In the mean time try grass ,hay,fruit just tokeep their stomachs working ,saying that your bunny might be fine butit,s worth getting it checked out

Thank you for all the responses. My little babybunny is doing better today, she is eating (fruit and baby food) anddrinking water with pedialiteagain! Yeah!!! I am sorelieved...:):D:D:D

Careful that the little one doesn't get too muchsugar. It's bad for their systems. I'd keep a closetab on not giving too much fruit, and give her as much hay as she caneat. Still not a bad idea to have the NutriCal onhand.

Hope the little gal continues to improve. Thanks for the happy update.

:)

-Carolyn

Watch out for diarrhea with all the "soft" foodshe's consuming. Continue the Pedialyte in case ofdehydration. Maybe you should try oats. I've foundthat my buns can't resist them. They will help keep diarrheafrom being a problem.

Jen

Latest posts

Back