sick bunny help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashhast

Reaction score
If anyone has any insight into bunny seizures or bunny health I need help!! My bunny is at the vets right now, he's been there since last night. They said we could pick him up today but I believe he's really sick!!

About a week ago he was peeing blood and his poop was a complete mess it was just diorriah. He took him in immediately, they sent him right home and said he was fine.
About 4 days later (last night) he couldn't even move he was so sluggish and was acting so tired and would come up on te bed with me and just lay beside me with his eyes closed. He's usually pretty hyper and only chills with me for a bit and would go back to hoping around. He's been super lethargic and not eating much since the first vet visit. And when we took him last night he was shaking his head jumping around and then would lay down and not even be able to move his back legs. I'm so scared for him because te vet thinks he has seizures and he had an "episode" in their care, but they still say he's okay to come home I don't get it!!!!

Maybe it is something that they kind of have to wait out. It sounds pretty serious, have they done any tests? If you don't feel they are doing a correct diagnosis I would take him to a different vet and get a 2nd opinion just in case

I took him to 2 different vets! The ones he's at now is a 24 emergency clinic. It's the only one in my area!

When my boy rocky had strokes/seizures (tests weren't run so we don't know) but he would lay his ears flat on his back he would rock or jitter and if he was walking would loose his balance. Rocky is about 4-5 years old and he would start having clusters. I was very scared for him because he also stopped eating and was having diarrhea. I started force feeding critical care, water, and nutrition drops to him. My vet also had me treat him with fenbendazole for about a month. We have had to deal with e. cuniculi in the past and we both felt it wouldn't hurt to try it even though he didn't show symptoms. Fenbendazole is a safe drug in rabbits and the liquid was easy to give him. Before I took him to work with me at the vet he had only one seizure. When he was at the vet he had episodes every hour I was so scared from him but I determined it was the stress that caused these seizures so he stayed home with me after that. He finally got tired of me force feeding with a syringe so I would just leave it in a bowl and he started eating on his own. We are able to switch him back to pellets and he's been fine since. I don't know what's wrong with your bunny but I hope he starts feeling better.

Last edited:
he's getting blood work done tonight. Hopefully that will say something

Were xrays taken, urinalysis, fecal test? Did the blood test also include checking for e. cuniculi? E. cuniculi can cause neurological symptoms, like seizures, and hind limb paralysis. Could your rabbit have ingested anything toxic. That could also account for blood in urine, diarrhea, seizures, paralysis, and lethargy.

This link has info on illness and disease in rabbits. Might be helpful in finding an answer.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/index_en.htm

Here's also some rabbit vet listings. Maybe you can find a better vet near you.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/finding-vet-13366/

Hey everyone thanks so much for your answers. I think we have found the problem, deep inner ear infection. I don't think there's a cure for it either? Just to keep giving him antibiotics long term..

Latest posts

Back