sick bunnie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightcap

Reaction score
A couple days ago my 1 year old lop eared bunny stopped eating his pellets. He isnt drinking much either. He will eat his romaine lettuce though. He is hopping like he is drunk. His demeanor is off. What should I do? What could it be? The only other change was that I used wood shavings in his cage other then the paper I used to use. But I have since cleaned his cage and put paper back in. Could heof ingested some of the wood? I am really worried and unsure how to help him.

since its already been a couple of days since this started...u really need to get him to the vet Asap.!..
this has nothing to do with his wood shaving...it could be a number of things..ear infection..e.cunicull(not sure how this is spelled ) or head tilt...all of these things are really bad for a bunny..and the sooner hes seen the better...

OK I just got back from the vet. Mr. Haas was dx with an inner ear infection and a mild case of head tilt. He got a shot of an antibiotic and I am to give him an oral med. twice daily for the next 30 days. (that should be interesting:tears2:) The vet said it was a good sign that he ate some timothy hay and drank and ate some raomaine lettuce this am. So lets all keep our fingers crossed Mr. Haas comes out of this no worse then he is. Thanks to all of your advice.:bunnynurse:

im so glad u went to the vet...most of the time when somebody is told that they need their bunny to go to the vet they hem and haw...good job on acting so quickly..i hope Haas has a speedy recovery:)

When the infection goes into the inner ear it begins to affect the brain.; this causes the tilt and neurological symptoms

it is essential that the antibiotics given be strong enough to prevent the infection from spreading any further
I would do a forum search of "head tilt" to read much of the previous info that we have on this
head tilt from the library
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11840&forum_id=10

Hi sorry it took a couple days to respond to your question. Trying to get back into the swing of things with the kids back in school. Anyway, I don't know the name of the injectable she did but they have me giving Haas Baytril orally. I have to draw it up in a syringe and then take the needle off and give it to him orally. He doesn't like it but we get it done. He is still eating ok as of last night and drinking alittle. His head is slighty tilted to the right, but he seems not to be acting so dizzy. He won't go farther then the living roomthough, which is not like him. He usually runs the whole house. He is letting me give him lots of head kisses and love. Hope this was the right meds. they gave him. What do you think? (I went back to look at the bottle and below Baytril it says enrofloxacin).

Baytril is like cipro for humans--a commonly used med that a lot of bacteria are resistant to. It does work sometimes, though, just like cipro in people. Since you are seeing improvement, I would stick with it. If he's not significantly better within a week of the vet visit, another antibiotic may be more appropriate. It's hard to tell right now if the improvement you're seeing is from the injected antibiotic your vet gave several days ago or the Baytril you've been giving--that's why I think if he's not symptom-free or close to it within a week, the Baytril isn't doing its job.

Hi Could you go to the bunnie blogs and read my blog. I put it in the wrong spot. Cuz I don't think he is doing as well as I would like. His head is still lop sided, but he is eating and drinking and hopping around the livingroom. It will be a week on sat. I guess I will wait to see how he does by then. The vet said it could take the whole 30 days of meds. before we can tell. But every day his poor head seems to sag more. This is awful and there must be something I can do to reverse this.

Ya kinda. He is still hopping around but sometimes if he looses his footing in is cage (it has a plastic floor under the paper) he falls over. He never used to do that. His head is a little sideways. But then he almost looks at you normal. Geez I just don't know. I guess I need to be thankful he is eating and drinking. He is still eating his carrots and lettuce and timothy hay. I am just going to finish his meds and see, unless he really takes a turn for the worst.

Latest posts

Back