Sick Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like an emergency. She may need supplemental oxygen based on those symptoms.

Antibiotic therapy would help but it is a longer-term solution, and with her ears turning purple and having shortness of breath, she needs to make it through a very rough spot right now for antibiotics to be able to have time to work.
:pray:

I took her in today. We're now giving her penicillin injections. The doc says her ears are actually a good sign because it means her blood is circulating normally again. I think she may be right because her gums are not purple and she is breathing normally through her nose. She says she thinks her brain is causing her to breathe irregularly although she's still getting the oxygen she needs.

She does stand by her story that baytril is the only thing that will penetrate the blood-brain barrier, she said penicillin is not in the spectrum that we need, whatever that means. She said it wouldn't hurt, though. She also said she called multiple exotic pets experts and consulted them about it. I do believe she believes what's she's telling me.

Anyway, thanks for the prayers. I'm just going to stick with the meds she has for now and hope for the best.

I see where's she's coming from. Enrofloxacin does get into the brain. I just think that there may be abscesses that aren't on that side of the blood-brain barrier, and any abscess is probably vascularized differently than the normal brain. Anyway, it's good you have her on both. That should help.

She has completely stopped eating all day long and barely ate anything yesterday. I'm trying force feed her but it's nearly impossible, she just spits it all out. I don't know what to do I've been trying all day to get her to eat. I bought some benebac. I think her stomach is upset. It's so bad I'm thinking of taking her off all the meds for a day.

This wasn't mentioned but Baytril is not the only medicine that will penetrate the blood-brain barrier. Fenbendazole will also. Since your bun has lesions on her brain she may have e cuniculi. Does she tilt her head to one side?

try to get pedialyte into her per syringe; you need to keep her hydrated. Poor bun....:(

Some rabbits like the taste of it

Possibly your vet can teach you to do sub q fluids on her .

sounds like she is very ill.I am so sorry

Hydration before nutrition. If your bunny becomes too dehydrated she will go downhill very fast.

That is good that she is being treated for e cuniculi.

I hope your bunny gets better soon!

BTW sub q fluids are very easy to administer. I had to administer sub q fluids to my male rabbit, Prince, because he wasn't drinking about a year ago because he had molar spurs.

She hasn't eaten much in 72 hours now. She hasn't had a bowel movement all day today and yesterday only small pellets. I've tried massaging her stomach and force feeding her but it's impossible. She still drinks plenty of water. I'm afraid she doesn't have much time left. Something is wrong with her stomach it's making really loud noises.

It sounds like she is going through GI stasis with not eating, pooping or peeing.

Let me see if I can get Randy to look at this thread and post in here. He is a vet tech and knows about this stuff.

She really needs to see a vet :(
in the meantime the gut sounds are most likely a build up of gas fromstasis

if you can get simethicone in her it may help (1cc then repeat doses every hour x 2 doses if the gut still is gurgling. )
also give her a dose of a probiotic like benebac

because of her serious condition it would be best to have her seen by a vet. if her chances of survival are minimal you do not want her to be suffering

It seems amazing to me. She is still hanging in there. I did get pedialyte in case that will help and am giving her simethicone. Ufortunately, she is still not eating and her gut is still gurgling but she is strong and temp is holding steady above 100.

I'm taking her to the vet again today. This is not going to be a good christmas and, honestly, this is starting to take its toll on my family. My entire free time is spent taking care of her. I just keep hoping there is a reason why she is hanging in there for so long.

I'm taking her to a different vet too, one listed on rabbit.org. I keep thinking maybe she was misdiagnosed because if she really had an infection in her brain and it's been nearly two weeks now and no signs of improvement, I think she would have gone way downhill. She still moves around she just seems like she doesn't want to or can't for some reason. Maybe it is brain related but we'll see what this other vet says.

I actually have more hope now after talking to this new vet. The main reason is he said her left ear is inflamed and we need to immediately take care of that. He said that might even get her mobility back. So he prescribed some anti-inflammatory pain meds and something for her stomach. He also told me to stop giving her kale because it's gassy so now we have a new action plan.

Wish her luck!

I'ts like a miracle. An hour after giving her the meds she is eating and pooping like a maniac. Thank god!

Latest posts

Back