SIAP, but how young can a bunny biologically/POSSIBLY get pregnant? I have heard diff

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPguy

Reaction score
I have heard soooo many different versions of how young it is biologically POSSIBLE for a bunny to become pregnant ! My wife and I recently purchased two adorable mini-lops (won second place at the State Fair), that are presumably one male and one female siblings. The "female" is already bigger and has circled the sibling and even mounted/humped (once to our knowledge).
Okay, so we insisted that the bunnies stay with Mom through almost 9 weeks. The owner said that there was one male/one female. They are now 10 ½ weeks old, and there is a little "malice in the palace." As I said, some circling, pushing the other's butt with the nose, and today I witnessed a mount and hump. Again, I have read that females may be fertile as early as 10-11 weeks, maybe 12 weeks. Some have said the mounting and humping may be "practice" at a little over the current 10 weeks. So is there a credible, accurate answer as to how early we need to separate? We planned to "fix" the male as soon as is possible, or shall I say necessary.
Can you folks tell me what is the earliest age at which the female might become pregnant by her sibling male? Thanks !

There is no hard and fast rule, unfortunately. Some mature earlier and some mature later. We separate the males and females in a litter by 8 weeks or so. Out of necessity we have had to wait 12 weeks before, with no issues; however, it can happen by 10-12 weeks. Once the male's testicles have dropped, he is fertile.

I separate litters as soon as (or before) I see this behavior. The chasing/mounting can also be strictly territorial/dominance behavior, but even so, that can cause fights between rabbits of the same or opposite gender. Intact rabbits should be housed separately after they're weaned.

Back