Shy rabbit needs cheering up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymandolinist

Reaction score
Willie is a very shy bunny. I bought him at an auction from a very good breeder from my area. Ever since I got him he just sits in the corner of his cage and runs away and starts thumping when I feed him. He may just be shy and not like people, maybe he misses his former owner, maybe I should get him some toys, I don't know. Just asking all of you who have had similar experiance what did you do with your "shy bunny"?

Well summer was from a shelter and she was shy when I got her, it just takes time. when you go to his cage to feed try giving him a treat and if he will let you try petting him.Or just sitting by his cage might do it. If you just got him it may take some time :)

~Nicky

Thanks. Since that post I thought about getting an indoor cage system. Basically an open cage with a fence around it and some matting over the floor, that way I can spend more time with him. Still loving suggestions!

yah he might like a pen, and you are right it would be good so you could spend time with him. :)

~Nicky

If he's from a breeder most likely he's had very little human contact, and has only had it when being fed or picked up and moved. Breeder buns don't get just bonding or play time with people. So he's most likely not used to you.

WHICH MEANS. You get to have lots of fun teaching him about people. :)

This might help.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

Small tip...you'll likely get ripped up if you pick him up too early. Be careful, and use a towel to cover him if necessary. :)

He doesn't mind being held too much, and he has had some quality time with me running around on my parents bed (don't tell them! ;)) and he didn't mind getting combed either. He just gets real scared when I come over to feed him and he will NOT let me get him out of his cage. Not aggressive, just scared I think. I believe that if I get him around me more he'll settle down a bit. My littlest rabbit's a trip. She comes right up to the cage when I go over to feed her and wants OUT. so I let here out, very careful not to let her go too far. Very curios thing. Loves to run around at lightning fast speeds, too. Drives me mad sometimes but I love her!

If he'll let you hold him and such then it's probably just he's not used to you specifically. If you spend time with him he'll lighten up, and may turn out not as shy as you think. XD

Binkies are when a rabbit dances for you! He'll run across the floor/area and jump and twist in the air. It means he's happy. :3

Its when a bunn is happy they will run and jump twisting themselves :)

I think my little one does that. It's funny too because I haven't really given her any speacial care (more than anyone else) I suppose it's because I got her very young. Silly little thing

here is my bunn doing one

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz461.jpg

and here is a link to more picks!

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44440&forum_id=21

Snap, not all breeders do not spend time with their rabbits. It bugs me that people think that, breeders with 50+ rabbitsI would probably say is more than likely like that but not every breeder.I have been sick with the flu, the doctor wanted me in the hospital but I refused. Even with being sick and on 7diffrent medicines that make me all doppy feelingI spent all day outside with my animals, mostly the rabbits. It is not like they sit in tiny cages with no toys or no human contact. They have toys, bigger cages than normal breeders have, they are handled everyday, have play times in the building and in the grass plus I spendtime out with them just watching and petting them. Not all breeders are the same :grumpy:

Have you tried a small room, maybe a blocked off hall way or bathroom, and let him loose in it when you say lay in there and watch him? He will be less scared of you if you are his level. Let him come to you, hands can be scarey for bunnies becauseof their prey nature. Treats are always good too :D

Thanks. I'm sure this breeder really cares about her bunnies. I'd like to have less than 20 or so at a time to avoid not getting nice friendly bunnies, after all that's the whole point!

ANd yes she definately does that flying thing, as often as she can. I wish I knew how old she was when I got her so I could tell how old she is. I may be able to get a pic so you all might be able to tell by how much mane-age she has.

What a cutie! I think the best way to earn a rabbit's trust is to sit in a room with it (sit on the floor) and let it come up and investigate you. Let him climb all over you if he wants, and don't make any sudden movements. After doing this a few days, you can offer him treats when he comes up to you or try to pet him on the head. Bunnies like to be petted on the top of the head, and prefer (at first) to be petted in the nose-to-tail direction. You can also pet the ears and massage at the base of the ears--my guys all like that. However, you have to approach them slowly and let them climb all over you before you attempt to pet them, otherwise they may think you're threatening. Good luck!

When we first got Mr. B, from a shelter(rescue) he was not at all user friendly. Would BITE, not nip when we tried to feed, clean, or do anything near or in his hutch. He was a dwarf, so we had to use a portable play-pen when we let him out to exercise. Had to wear gloves and long sleeves and use a bag or box when it was time for him to go up. Took more than 4 years to get him off biting. So, not all rabbits can be socialized easily. He was picked up at an abandoned homeless camp, so we always looked at the fact that his wasn't a very pleasant life til we became his caretakers--also, knew we would never be able to find him a forever home--he was ours til he passed. The last year we had him, he finally stopped biting and we were able to take him out and put him up with no bloodshed (ours, of course).

I won't tell your parents about your bun on their bed if you don't tell my hubby that Mercy (our miniature horse) has been in the house before in my kitchen!:biggrin2:(He would send me off to the funny farm!)

My Juno is a shy bunny - I sit with her in the horse stall and quietly wait for her to come up to me. It takes time but if you are quiet and patient, your bunny may come around. I have had her since Valentine's Day and she is just coming up to me to inspect me when I am sitting. She is not fond of the session of freedom ending so I usually have to corner her with a towel to gently scoop her up or she would run circles around me and I definitely don't want to grab at her and scare or hurt her.

Denise

He is an adorable lil guy ain't he? Hh is a lionhead so I think that he just likes to keep to himself and chill. He comes right up to the door of his cage now when I go over every morning to feed and check up on them all, but as soon as I put my hand in there to give him a little pat he runs off and starts stomping. I'll have that pen in my room soon. How do you guys litter train your rabbits? I know a quick easy way to train a cat but I have no clue with rabbits! :p

Latest posts

Back