Showing in the Pet category

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welonheadmoo

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of joining the 4H club even though I would most likely be considerably older than everyone else. I simply have nothing much else to do over the summer with my rabbit. We're doing some therapy, but I'm hoping to branch out. I'm thinking of showing Cinnamon even though he's a mutt with a inporportionally big head and no testicles. Just for fun. 1st meeting will be a couple weeks away, but the woman I contacted sent me the registration form and said - sign up. :? I don't know anything. I talked with an online friend who might be sending me all her how-to-show info, but she was a breeder, and I am quite sure judging a pet quality rabbit is different. Couldn't find anything on the Net so was wondering if anyone here has had any experience.

You really should join 4-H! It's a lot of fun.Yes, showing in the pet catagory is different than showing in breed. You will be judged on how a good a condition your rabbit is in, how well it can be handled, how clean it is. You may be asked questions about what you feed him and how you care for him.

But 4-H does other things too. You should have a good time. You can pick out your own projects and present them to your group. (Maybe doing something on your Therapy work?) Give it a try!

Thanks. Sounds like fun. I'll probably talk to the coordinator about other clubs, but I think I'll start slow. Maybe if I do do a project, I could start some little rabbit hopping thing. Who knows.

Are you older or younger than 19? That's the max age for 4-hers.Pet class is basically what Bo said. I show a few of my bunnies in the pet class. They judge on colour (some judges), cleanliness, coat condition, etc. and of course they checkfor diseases, etc.

As for a neutered boy - not sure how well that will go. Some judges DQ because they can't tell it's a boy, they assume it's a doe.

Emily

16, will be incoming junior in sept.

About the neuter thing, that's interesting. I'll see if the sacks completely disappear (neutered 2 wks ago)... but I would think his pee-pee would be big enough to scream male. Maybe not? lol

They do allow neutered/spayed rabbits to be shown in pet classes. The judges can generally tell if it is a buck or doe. :D Pet classes encourage spay and neutering.

I'd give4-H a try. If you don't like it, don't go back... but at least you tried!

Latest posts

Back