Show rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superchar42

Reaction score
So the mechanic I go to has accidentally acquired a rabbit that he doesn't want. He said that it has a tattooed number in it's ear.

The rabbit was dumped into his yard. His kid wants to keep it but he doesn't! It also had one live kit which may or may not be kept.

Is there a way to trace the tattoo number to the original owner and find out what happened?

She's being taken care of right now. I don't know the age of the kit, but I'm sure they're together and doing okay. The mechanic used to breed meat rabbits, so he's aware of the needs of the kit.

Any information would be helpful. Would the owner be able to be held for animal mistreatment (abandonment?) if it's tracable?

I'm going to see about going over there this weekend to make sure she's in okay condition and doesn't need to see the vet (I'm going out to my vet on Saturday anyway and could just take her with me).

If the rabbit has an R tattooed in it's right ear then it is registered with the

ARBA. It would be very hard to trace a rabbit from just a tattoo number in

it's left ear because they are generally just a code for the breeder to identify

the rabbit. It still may be very difficult to trace even if it is registered because

you would not have the owners name or rabbitry name to associate with the

tattoo. Lots of rabbits could have the same tatto number.

Roger

Do they have to have papers to be registered wth ARBA?

and does that mean I can just put anything in the left ear? like numbers and letters - and is it a certain number or whatever I like within reason?

This is a great question thread for those of us new show rabbit people :)

To be registered with ARBA, you have to present the rabbit (over 6 months of age) with it's complete pedigree to an ARBA certified Registrar. That person examines the rabbit to make sure it meets thedefined Standard set forth by ARBA for a Senior of that breed. It can have no disqualifications and has to have a complete pedigree showing at least 3 purebred generations behind it, and you pay a fee to register the rabbit.

You can assign whatever combination of numbers/letters you want for a rabbit's tattoo. Some people use numbers, some use names or initials. Some use a code to showa litter/year/sex/etc. As long as you know how your rabbits are marked, each rabbit has a different identification, it is permenant and the rabbit is always shown with the same number. It has happened that two identically marked rabbits will be shown by two different exhibitors, but seldom are they the same breed/color/age/etc.

A rabbit does NOT have to be registered to be shown, but DOES have to be registered to be Grand Championed (in conjunction with winning3 "Leg" certificates).

Yes like RAL Rabbitry said the rabbit will either have a R inside a circle in its right ear or a series of numbers and letters in its right ear then it is registered with ARBA, I don't know how much info they are willin to give but possibly they will email the person to let them know you have there bunny.

Good Luck and keep us posted

You might be able to trace the rabbit's ear number (in the left ear) by contacting a local rabbit breeders club. Give the Club Secretary the breed and the number and ask for help returning the rabbit to it's owner. If it's tattooed, it was probably for show or breeding and might have been a "runaway", especially if it has a kit with it. It happens that a baby could follow it's momout the door if she bolts.

Someone might be looking for her, especially if she left other kits behind.

[align=center]:dunno[/align]

Oh, she birthed four kits total, three stillborn and the one live in the presence of the mechanic.

I'll see if I can get the number and take some pictures of the doe. I'm also going to see if I'll be able to go over there and check her over for fleas, or anything else that I can spot. I think he won't mind, since he wants to get rid of the rabbits so bad!

I'm so sorry, my misunderstanding. She still might be wanted by whom ever lost her. Especially if she was so close to kindling. (Unless she was lost for over 31 days and bred by a wandering buck... in that case, please find her a good home. And let us know what happens.)

Try contacting ARBA they will know who was the owner of that rabbit. Unless they might not give that information out,which I don't they they will give that info out.

Good Luck! :)Keep us posted!

hopntailrabbitry wrote:
Try contacting ARBA they will know who was the owner of that rabbit. Unless they might not give that information out,which I don't they they will give that info out.

Good Luck! :)Keep us posted!

ARBA won't know the owner of the rabbit. Many rabbits have the same tattoo number, and ARBA doesn't keep a database of personal breeder tattoo numbers.

Pam

Rabbits have to have a tattoo in the LEFT ear to be shown. This tattoo is a name, number, series of letters and number or whatever the breeder chooses. If the rabbit has a tattoo in the RIGHT ear then it is a register rabbit, which means that is has a full pedigree, is a senior, and fit the standard for that breed.Breeders do not usually know ears numbers of other breeders rabbits. I know in our rabbitry we try to never use the same name, numbers or combination of letters and numbers, it would prove to be very confusing. The last show I went to, I decided not to bring one of my regular rabbits, instead I brought some newer ones I had, well the rabbit I didn't bring ear number was PR and on the show table that day for that breed they had 2 other PR ear numbers, I was thinking - I know I didn't bring her - and I hadn't it just happened that two other breeders had that ear number in thier rabbits left ear.

Latest posts

Back