Show rabbit? What determines one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondiesmommie

Reaction score
Just curious bc I have a really beautiful rabbit, I'm curious how they determine if a rabbit is show material or not , so to speak? I may be interested ! Thanks!!

Each breed has a standard of perfection. This details what an ideal rabbit of that breed should look and feel like. Show quality rabbits are the ones that fit this standard as closely as possible and should do well at shows (no guarantees as it does depend on the other rabbits show on that day and the judge).
Each breed also have faults. These are things that are not wanted, but can still be ok in a show. It it usually markings, but can be other things.
There are also disqualifications or DQ's. These are things that will get a rabbit kicked off the table (not literally, but they won't be allowed to compete). These can be markings or lack of marking, colour, toe nails being the wrong colour, tooth problems or other issues. DQ's will make a rabbit unshowable, but some can still be good for breeding depending on what it is and if it can be passed to offspring.

If you are looking for a show rabbit, it is a good idea to get an idea of what the standard for that breed it. Also know faults and DQ's as they are important as well. Then find a good breeder who will go over the good and bad points of a rabbit with you.

I agree with everything Kate said. Also to add your bun is a Lionhead. That breed is not yet recognized by the ARBA and you would have to bring a current Certificate Of Development (this is basically the breed standard written by the person trying to get the breed accepted) which can be obtained by the Lionhead Breed Clubs website. Although your lionhead looks like it wont have a problem getting through a show, he cannot compete for any trophies or higher titles such as Best in Show. I would recommend starting with a breed that is already an accepted variety and checking on arba.net/breeds.htm to find more about different breeds.

Latest posts

Back