Show Rabbit and cage handling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faded.dream

Reaction score
It's me again! :) Today I'm wondering if there's any tips l getting a show rabbit out of the cage. Some background information on him is he is not neutered lionhead rabbit with a fairly big cage, when I try to get him out I have to really stretch to get to the back of the cage.

Anyways I will be showing him in the youth fair in February I think was the month. I'm having some problem wit getting him out of his cage. I've only had him about a week now and I have seen a lot if improvement since then. Usually when I try to take him out he jumps to the very back or runs in circles so I give up and give him some space. But I know for he youth fake I know I'm not going to be able to open the cage an le him hop out on his own, like he does now.

So I need some help with working out a way to pull heinous without him freaking out. And also if anyone knows it would be great if he hopped to the cage door eager to get out. I read somewhere about every time you feed them do a short whistle. Then they would learn whistle means food as come. Would that work? Thanks in advance! :)

he sounds scared. offer him treats to come up to you or out of the cage then make being outside the cage a positive experience. i don't take mine out, they come out when i open doors

I have found that my rabbits tend to act differently when they are away from home. So a rabbit who might be at the cage at home, could be more withdrawn away from home, at least when in a cage or pen. There are some rabbits that will come up to the cage, but it does depend on the rabbit and some need to get used to going places before they will really want to come up to the cage.

Do you know if cages will be at the show or if you have to keep the rabbit in a carrier? If you have to keep the rabbit in a carrier, then getting one with a top door or that you can easily take the top off will help a lot as you can just open the top and get your rabbit out. If cages are provided, it can be more tricky as the doors can be small.

When going to get your rabbit out, it can be tricky since the door is small. It can be easier if your rabbit is not facing you. You should be able to reach in and be able to grab him to get him out. Having him face away from you means you have better access to grab and support him and that they can't brace against the cage door.

We have travel hutches that are smaller than their regular hutch and the top opens so it's much easier in and out with them. Our newest, Finn always get a treat (cilantro)when I open his hutch, so he's always more than ready and at his door.

If your rabbit will be cooped at the fair then I'm sure the cage will be smaller than what he's in at home. Sometimes fairs/shows can make rabbits more skittish because of all the activity. Trying to get him used to noise and activity beforehand will help. Most of our rabbits will come to the door if they think we have hay or feed, but a couple will stay at the back. When our rabbits are cooped wevisit each oneand talk to them/pet them or take them out and just hold them for a bit.

If the coop door is big enough you can go in with one hand and place it under him and as you're lifting him up and bringing him out put the other hand over the top of him.

Latest posts

Back