Show Prospects

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalifornianKit

Reaction score
I have had one litter of californians from a my 5th place market doe and the 1st place market buck. The does major fault was her poor shoulders and i noticed neither of the babies shoulders are as bad as her and i was thinking of using one of these younger does as a breeding doe this year in the fair.

Ruby

2dgpand.jpg

Opal

10dcj0k.jpg

Im leaning more toward Opal because her shoulders seem a little better to me that Ruby's do. However Ruby seems to fill out better and her hips are smoother lookin to me :?

Hindquarters are the most important consideration. Can you post rear and top views?

Great job on the photos!I'd go withgo with Ruby based on the photos, although she appears to peak and little early and probably slopes off on the HQ (her back feet are tucked a little too far forward in the very first photo). Opal is very narrow in the hindquarters.

I like Ruby MUCH more. however; I'm not sure if width comes with age on Calis. (I know it certainly can and does with dwarfs... But they're also not a meaty breed. xD)

ETA: 8D I second Pam.

xD ive always thought that Ruby would be the one i keep just because of her personality if nothing else. So they are breeding/showing quality right? Theyre the first and only litter ive ever bred and i wanna make sure im not breeding duds =)

Their color, especially Ruby, is very light. It could just be the time of year that is causing it as I know my cal doe was very light colored looking from the heat.

Do you know if the color gets better with age?

Thats all because of the longevity of the days. Their ears are getting lighter because of so much light and heat. Once winter rolls around they will darken very nicely. Their mom has DARK ears in May when they were born and theyre very pink right now. xD

Ok, I was just wondering, it just kind of scared me because those light colors remind me of what I see on Cal/New Zealand crosses.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

xD theyre pure cali's. I need to get them tattooed and actuallyget a cage to seperate the two. Theyve been together since birth =O *note to self. Save money for a new divider cage*

Back