Should rabbits live on thier own?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harveysmum

Reaction score
I have an 8 month old rabbit and I was wonderingif it is cruel to keephimonhis own.Problem is I want to get him a companion, but im not allowed to so Ihope he will not get too lonely on his own.:p

Welcome HarveysMum!

Wild rabbits live in groups in the wild for protection purposes ofother predators. It enables them to warn each other against incomingdanger. Generally speaking, however, many live on their own. They'renot as in need of companionship of another rabbit as we would think.

If your rabbit is kept in an area that doesn't have much 'traffic' oryou don't have a lot of time to spend with him or interact with him,then you might consider getting another.

Bonding two rabbits isn't to be taken for granted. Not allpersonalities will get along. If you're going to get another rabbit,bring your rabbit along with you and make sure that when they're puttogether, they don't go for each other's neck. Male/Male rarely works,Male/Female and Female/Female has more success stories.

If your rabbit is sleeping most of the day, that's not boredom, that'sjust what rabbits do. Some people confuse that with depression,understandably. I did when I first was learning. Then I found out thatno matter whether my rabbit was free to explore or not, he's still stayin his cage and snooze away the afternoon. He's quite happy. He binkiesevery night, so I know he's enjoying life.

-Carolyn

Hi, There are a lot of advantages to having a"lone" bun. You will not have territorial disputes...this includesspraying, marking with urine, and poop wars. There will be no argumentsover who eats from what bowl or who is going to drink from the bottlefirst....no poop wars. You will not have any arguments over who isgoing to sleep on the "favorite mat" (they will always want the onethat the other one wanted)..... again, no poop wars. In other words,you clean less with only one bun (it makes parents very happy)!

Rabbits that have a good relationship with their owner....hmmmmm, itmight be the other way around.......don't need the companionship ofanother bun. The key issue is "quality time". If you can give this toyour bun, he'll be the happiest Bun in the world and will not need thecompanionship of another rabbit. He/she will pour all of his/herattention and affection on you. :) Charlotte

I only have one bunny and kinda want another onebut i been told no or the new bunny and me move lol. I justwanted to comment that i have never seen my bunny sleep during the day.Not that i am watching her all day long. But normally i am home duringthe day and i work a few hours in the evening.

Cristy

Back