Should I try to bond pre-spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndMaple

Reaction score
Hi, I'm asking this because I'm about to move into a new house (completely neutral environment!).

Maple was spayed last November and will turn 1yr old at the end of the month. Bluebell is almost 4 months old, and is booked in to be spayed in October.

I've had the two next to each other with a solid plastic xpen between them so they can see and smell each other for the past couple of weeks.

Rather than waiting until potentially January when Bluebell's hormones will have calmed down, could I attempt to bond the two of them when I move into my new house at the end of the week? Would that be a bad idea? Bluebell hasn't showed any signs of being territorial yet.

There are only risks and no benefits to trying to bond before spaying. Suppose the early bond attempt goes well and they seem to get along. Between now and October, her hormones could kick in at any time. How much they will affect her is anyone's guess since each rabbit is affected to different degrees. When hormones do kick in, her behavior may alter and/or the male's may alter too in response to those hormones. A sudden fight could occur. If you don't happen to be right there to stop it, things could get really bad really quick. A severe fight then could prevent them from bonding for real after her spay.

Now suppose they get along during this time without incidence despite the hormones. Once she goes in for a spay, she'll need time alone to heal. When she returns from the vet, she will smell like a different rabbit. Even tightly bonded rabbits (already fixed and with years of bonding) can have that bond broken just from one rabbit going to the vet without the other. So the vet visit, spay procedure, and separate healing time will mean any prior bonding is basically out the window.

However, what you could do when you move into the new house, is consider where you will want them to live once bonded. Then you can be sure to keep them both out of that area until they're ready. In other words, you can establish a temporary area for them for now in preparation for when the real bonding process can begin. That way you still will have the benefit of having neutral location when the time comes. You could even do the bonding (after spaying) in the temporary area if you wish (or perhaps another area altogether).

There are only risks and no benefits to trying to bond before spaying. Suppose the early bond attempt goes well and they seem to get along. Between now and October, her hormones could kick in at any time. How much they will affect her is anyone's guess since each rabbit is affected to different degrees. When hormones do kick in, her behavior may alter and/or the male's may alter too in response to those hormones. A sudden fight could occur. If you don't happen to be right there to stop it, things could get really bad really quick. A severe fight then could prevent them from bonding for real after her spay.

Now suppose they get along during this time without incidence despite the hormones. Once she goes in for a spay, she'll need time alone to heal. When she returns from the vet, she will smell like a different rabbit. Even tightly bonded rabbits (already fixed and with years of bonding) can have that bond broken just from one rabbit going to the vet without the other. So the vet visit, spay procedure, and separate healing time will mean any prior bonding is basically out the window.

However, what you could do when you move into the new house, is consider where you will want them to live once bonded. Then you can be sure to keep them both out of that area until they're ready. In other words, you can establish a temporary area for them for now in preparation for when the real bonding process can begin. That way you still will have the benefit of having neutral location when the time comes. You could even do the bonding (after spaying) in the temporary area if you wish (or perhaps another area altogether).
Okay, thank you!

I thought it probably would be best to wait, I just wanted to check because it's sad that all 3 of them have to be separate!

Hopefully after Bluebell's hormones have settled post-spay I can have 2 of them together! 🤞

Okay, thank you!

I thought it probably would be best to wait, I just wanted to check because it's sad that all 3 of them have to be separate!

Hopefully after Bluebell's hormones have settled post-spay I can have 2 of them together! 🤞
I am with you! I am going through the exact same thing at the moment and I have been for the last 2 months. I hope you can get at the end of it a lot quicker! 🙏 my spay is tomorrow finally then healing and then I’ll attempt bonding again which didn’t work before because of the female being intact ( we hope that’s why)

I am with you! I am going through the exact same thing at the moment and I have been for the last 2 months. I hope you can get at the end of it a lot quicker! 🙏 my spay is tomorrow finally then healing and then I’ll attempt bonding again which didn’t work before because of the female being intact ( we hope that’s why)
Aw bless you - I hope tomorrow's operation goes well, and your bun has a smooth recovery ❤️ With some luck, our bunnies will be happily bonded in the near future! 🤞

Back