Should I treat Marlin for mites/lice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I noticed one of my ratties has been itching, and this morning I woke up to him having a huge bloody area on his body.....from itching and it caused him to bleed. He now has one large spot and four small spots.

I read on a rat forum that I can treat my rat with Ivermectin, and the itching should stop.

I haven't seen any lice or mites or anything weird, but Spartan the rattie has just been itching like crazy.

Should/would it be okay to treat Marlin (and my other rat) just incase my one rattie has mites or lice? I haven't seen Marlin or my other rat itching at all, though.

Are you sure as to what it is? Could it be ringworm? It sounds more like ringworm.

The problem is, Ivermectin won't treat ringworm or a fungal infection. Personally, I'd bring him in and get the problem identified. Ketoconazale works fantastically for ringworm in rodents, but Ivermectin won't do jack.

I don't think it is ring worm at all. I did research on a rat forum and it sounds like Ivermectin will solve the issue. If not, then we will go to the vet's.

Ah, okay. Well, then good luck with it!

And even if it isn't necessary, it won't hurt a thing to treat everyone else with the Ivermectin. Do you have the injectible stuff, or oral, or topical...?

I am going to go ahead tomorrow and pick up some of the Ivomec paste from the feed store.

Hopefully that works out for us.

Back