Should I take this rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sky, I couldn't agree with you more. Youexpressed exactly what I was thinking. I pray the lady lets you havethat rabbit, he will then at least be happy and well cared for.

MyboyHarper said exactly what I was thinking while reading through this post.

My Rabbit, Beau, thatI had before I adopted Sylvester andTurbo, was about 5 years old when I adopted him from the local shelter.They really had no background history on him other than the fact thathe had been neglected, was underweight, and terribly afraid. Thenagain, why wouldn't he be? Someone had just dropped him off on thefront steps of the shelter. When he first came to live withme, I got bit, scratched, etc. He couldn't handle eating certain thingsfor quite awhile. Soon, we finally figured out a way to make thingswork for him. Helearned what toys were and just theright ways to play with them. Eventually, he was able to free-range myhouse and became more like a Dog than the once terrified boy he waswhen I saw him huddled in that cage. :( 3 years later, we found out hehad cancer, he was so weak, and I was so scared for him. Just a daybefore surgery, he started showing symptoms of Wry Neck and treatmentdidn't help him. He passed away 5 days later. He wasn't huddled in acage, yet he was sleeping on top of his big dog bed in the middle of mybedroom, wrapped in blankets, with the toys he once really loved, withme stroking his face.

It just goes to show you; toys, proper food, and a TRUE loving homemake all the difference. I feel that without everything I did for him,he would have continued to be that scared white Rabbit that I pickedout from all thosecute, fuzzy, baby bunnies,for therest of his life.

Beau.jpg

I really hope that this lady gives you the Rabbit. He really doesdeserve an indoor home with lots of stimulation and love for the restof his days. You're doing a good thing here. :D

12 is very old for a rabbit.you will most likelybe taking on a huge vet bill.I agree rabbits do not get too be 12without proper care.think this over carefully.bluebird

I dont agree. I know someone who has had arabbit for about ten years. I have known the girl 8 years, slept overher house for days at a time and I just found out she has a rabbit. Itis kept in the tool shed outback. She blurts this out right aftertelling me I should have mine outside. Oh and that I am wasting moneyon the vet for my rabbit.

She says it is aggressive, but shes never bothered holding it. 10 yearsand she doesn't know it is male or female. When I get a job and cancontribute more to my household I am going to see if she gives him orher to me. I dont care what it cost to care for him or herbuthe or she will get a better life.

I think we all should realized that the conceptof a "house rabbit" is still very foreign to many people. You'd besuprised when I volunteer in the rabbit room at the local shelter howthe majority of the people are surprised when I tell them that we won'tadopt out a rabbit unless it's kept indoors. Just thought I'd throwthat out there.

While I do realize we have a few folks here who keep their rabbits inclean outdoor hutches, I know these folks feed and care for theirrabbits and make sure they get proper excersize and human contact. Noproblem there.

That being said, I don't think you should "steal" the rabbit. Despitethe fact that you will be providing much better care, you could end upgetting in more trouble than you bargained for. I agree with theprevious posters that you should ask her for the rabbit or offer her afew bucks for it. Good Luck.

EDITED TO ADD SECOND PARAGRAPH

Oh I know. These people(former friend) are horrible with animals period.

Beccalynn wrote:
My Rabbit, Beau, thatI had before I adoptedSylvester and Turbo, was about 5 years old when I adopted him from thelocal shelter. They really had no background history on him other thanthe fact that he had been neglected, was underweight, and terriblyafraid. Then again, why wouldn't he be? Someone had just dropped himoff on the front steps of the shelter. When he first came tolive with me, I got bit, scratched, etc. He couldn't handle eatingcertain things for quite awhile. Soon, we finally figured out a way tomake things work for him. Helearned what toys were andjust the right ways to play with them. Eventually, he was able tofree-range my house and became more like a Dog than the once terrifiedboy he was when I saw him huddled in that cage. :( 3 years later, wefound out he had cancer, he was so weak, and I was so scared for him.Just a day before surgery, he started showing symptoms of Wry Neck andtreatment didn't help him. He passed away 5 days later. He wasn'thuddled in a cage, yet he was sleeping on top of his big dog bed in themiddle of my bedroom, wrapped in blankets, with the toys he once reallyloved, with me stroking his face.
Beccalynn, I just wanted to say that your story of Beau really touched my heart... :hearts:hug1

Sky,my suggestion...I'd approach the lady and ask if shewould be willing to sell her rabbit, explaining that you would love toown a bunny and you've really taken to him in particular. Explain thatyou realize he's old and probably doesn't have a lot of years left, butyou really prefer him over any others you've seen. Whether she decidesto sell or not will be ultimately up to her, but if she truly doesn'ttake a wholehearted interest in her animals, I suspect that offeringthe right amount of money will convince her. I'm afraid short ofstealing him (which I absolutely wouldn't recommend as it is againstthe law, and you would appear to be a likely suspect), there isn't muchelse you can do. Taking on an elderly bunny who has been outdoors formost of his life might be a bit of a challenge if he has any healthproblems, but so long as you feel you can handle it, I'd love to seeyou be able to do so. As far as the cats, I guess how well they getalong will depend upon how active/curious the cats are, and howaggressive the bunny might be toward them, if he's never been exposedto cats before. I do believe though, that most animals can learn tolive in (at least) relative harmony...but just in case they do clash,be prepared to have a backup plan on where to house *Mr. B*. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and prayers said) that you will be able to take him in. I bet he will love you for it. :hug2:

While I do realize we have a few folkshere who keep their rabbits in clean outdoor hutches, I know thesefolks feed and care for their rabbits and make sure they get properexcersize and human contact. No problem there.
Rabbits can live outdoors, no problem ;). I think the problem startswhen the Rabbit doesn't even have something as simple as a cardboardbox or TP roll to play with. Human contact and interactionisimportant .:DI agree with everything you've said.

Beccalynn, I just wanted to say that your story of Beau really touched my heart... :hearts

Thank you. :DI really miss him, but I know that at least now he feels no pain. :(

I haven't talked to the lady yet. I want tothink this through before doing anything. I have a cage, but its not asbig as I would like. Its really not much bigger than the cage shealready has him in, but I can't figure out where I could fit a largercage. Part of me says to go ahead with this cage, because it would bean improvement anyway with the plastic bottom and him being able to runaround outside of it (and having toys, and having attention). But theother part of me is a perfectionist and wants to have a suitable, ifnot luxurious cage before getting him.

Like I said, I have never had a rabbit before (well, once when I waslittle we had one who lived outside mostly, but came in to play alot,but I don't remember that very well, and having a house rabbit is verydifferent, you know?), so I want to read alot about them to make sure Iwill be able to provide for him like he deserves, and not go a weekinto this and find that I had no idea what I was getting into. :?

Not to mention, I still need to get a litter pan (the cat's extras aretoo large to fit in the cage), hay, food, toys, and all of that. Ireally only started seriously considering this a few days before Iposted originally.

I have some pictures of the rabbits from a longtime ago, but I can't figure out how to post them? I have them saved tomy photobucket album, but when I right click to paste it here, 'paste'dosen't show as an option. :( Is it ok to post pictures here?

If you look on the tool bar when posting a replyto a topic, next to the quotes there is a little square with 3 bubbles(2 green and 1 red), if you click on that, a little pop up box willcome up that says "http://" just paste the link there by right clickinginside of the text area. :)

Thank you! Lets see if I do this right: (Thesepictures are from about a year ago, and most of these rabbits havedied/disappeared)

This is the old boy that I might be getting:
Bunny4.jpg

This rabbit is a dwarf whose nose got bitten off by one of the other rabbits:
Bunny9.jpg

This one I took home (with the lady's consent) for a little while so that he could have toys and run around some:
Bunny6.jpg

These rabbits are no longer there- some have died, others I am not sure about:
Bunny7.jpg

Bunny2.jpg

Bunny3.jpg

Bunny5.jpg

Bunny8.jpg

I might take the camera next time I go up there and get pictures of the others that are there right now.

They are all so beautiful. :DThe oldboy is might handsome. Holland lop I would assume? I'm so used toadopting and having no clue what they are that I'm horrible at breeds.:tongu2:

skysoblue wrote:
Imagine living all day, every day, for your entire lifeexactly the same. You live in a bathroom-sized room with wire floor,and you are bare-footed. You eat the exact same food every meal, everyday, your whole life. The flies are terrible, your nails are overgrown,it constantly stinks (you live right next to the hog pen), you neverget your hair brushed or get a bath. You never go to the doctor- if youare strong, you live, if you are weak, you die. The room is bare exceptfor your food dish with food, the water bottle, and some woolblankets....
You have to put yourself in the rabbits's shoes...er...feet. That's the life he's used to. It'slike saying a child in an African village somewhere is beingill-treated because they have no running water, toilets, there areflies all over, the child works in the fields, the food is adequate butnotplentiful. But that child isn't being abused,he's just not being spoiled -- and he's probably really happy to behome.He doesn't know thatMadonna lives inapalace with all the trappings, he doesn't long for it(unless they're delivering Us Weekly to the village).

Change doesn't come easy at 12. He probably won't intiallyconsider it a rescue, he'll think he's being taken away from the onlyhome he's known, it will take awhile before he'll realize the new placeis more fun. The question now is will he last long enough forthat to happen.

Maybe just visit with an x-pen and play with him, feed him someNutri-Cal to get his weight up, and see how it goes. I reallywouldn't feel THAT sorry for him, there are far worse cases outthere.

I felt horrible for Dill and Darry because they were in worseconditions, they didn't even have a blanket, the unheated shed wasfreezing, they were in separate cages, had little humancontact. But the worst part was they had previously beenhouse bunnies, and THEN they were stuck out in the cage. TheyDID know better. They didn't know what happened, and theywere so incredibly sad. :(

sas

I have no idea, honestly. I know the orangerabbit is a rex because he has the funny coat (right?) but the old guyis just a cute little floppy earred guy to me! I don't know rabbitbreeds.

Kei'ichi is home, and I realize the cage I haveis way too small, but I think between no longer sitting on wire, andbeing able to run around outside of the cage and play with toys, thingsare better for him, and I will be getting him a larger cage as soon asI can.

For my rats I use old t-shirts as bedding, will this work for him, too,and can I use the same t-shirts (I wash them in between cagecleanings)? He has pellet bunny food, and timothy hay. I also put a fewtoys in the cage, and of course he has a water bottle.

I am letting him settle in his cage for now because its a big changeand I'm sure he is scared right now, but when should I start lettinghim run around and interact with him?

Yay, I'm so glad you got him!!!

I would give him a few days to get settled in before handling him much.Then, when you begin, let him come out of the cage on his own. Allowhim to do some exploring on his own (supervised, of course)so that he can gradually adjsut to his surroundings.

So glad to hear he's in a nice warm house with toys and a soft place to rest his little feet. Can't wait to see pictures!

Kool! :bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back