Should I take this one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nangobi

Reaction score
I'm in work so I have to be quick but.... Justbeen round the corner shop and there's a sign saying someone is sellingJack Russell pups and giving away a female rabbit.

I already have a female - about 5-6 months old who is unspayed tilFeb)but wondered if anyone had bonded 2 females. Adalso says it's 'long-haired' and my rabbit is kept outside.

I'd be pushing my luck with this one I think but just wondered what you thought.

I'll look back in when I get a chance to see any reples.

Thanks, Amanda

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you'd bepushing your luckby taking the free rabbit...maybe you couldexpand on that?

Iguess part of the answer lies in whether you arewilling to take a chance that the two rabbits (yours and the one fromthe store) will bond, and will be able to house the new one if bondingfails. Two does can be kept together, though I've had little experiencein bonding. I did have two does who were bonded when I was a teen; myrabbit and my sister's. We put them in an outdoor cage together when wegot my sister's - a cute little black dutch - and for the first fewweeks everything was fine. My rabbit (Thumper) was a mixed breed doethat was a fair bit older (I think she was around 2 or 3 by then) andlarger, and Barney the dutch was just a couple of months. However,Barney matured...and one day we heard a noise outside, only to discoverthat all heck had broken loose in the hutch. The two rabbits weretumbling about in the run, fur flying everywhere! But as quick as itbegan, it stopped; it turned out that they were establishing a 'peckingorder'. Thankfully we never had any more problems after that, and thetwo became inseparable. Both were unspayed does. You could always askto see the rabbit and, if they will let you, introduce yours to the onethat is being given away. At least you might get some idea of how theywill interact, though it is possible that bonding issues could stillarise later on, especially if your present rabbit is going to gothrough a spay next month (the two would need to be temporarilyseparated until your bunny had fully recovered...and they may or maynothave issues when re-introducing them again).

The other question involves whether you will be willing to invest theextra time needed in grooming the new bunny if she has a long coat. Shewill definitely need it, as rabbits such as angoras can get mattedcoats so quickly. If this is something you wouldn't mind doing, and ifyour current bunny is an only rabbit, then she might enjoy having thecompany of a new friend.

I was just concerned that as a new bunny owner Imight not be experienced enough to take on thegrooming ofthis rabbit plus the bonding of 2 does. I wouldn't want tomake a mess of it. My Bugsy is such a darlihng - she makeseverything easy.

Anyway, I rang the number to find out more details and this ignorantsounding woman told me it was gone and put the phone down - it wasn'tmeant to be.

Latest posts

Back