should i take lucey to see the vet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi all

i feel quite conserned about lucey

as i said last week she was having soft poops and it was like a bunch of grapes all together

so me and tony took her off her veggies and just put her onto pellets and hay

it worked

now the thing is normally her tray is 90% wet with wee but since wed and today she is 90% dry and only 10% wet

but last night we gave her some cauliflower stalks and this morning sheseems very bloated but she is eating ok so should i take her or not

got in touch with the vet and she said if lucey hasnt weeed enough tomorrow to bring her strate down

varna xxxx

As long as she doesn't appear to be straining topee, or her urine isn't really thick and white, she's justfine.

The veggies were supplying most of her water, so without them, she hasa lot less in her system. The hay will make her dry aswell.

Just make sure she has access to lots offreshwater. She was used to getting it from theveggies, she should start drinking more on her own when she realizesshe's thirsty. :)

The excess cecals (the 'grapes') may have been because she was gettingtoo much food. If taking away the veggies works, that'sgreat, all bunnies are individuals,but peoplealsotry takingaway the pellets and feedhay and waterfor a day or two,then slowly add veggieswhilecuttingbackon the pellets almost entirely.

It'swhatever works best for Lucy. :bunnydance:

i know one thing about veggies, is that they got a lot of water, more water = more pee

as for the brocci (sorry about spelling) they do cause gas

i hope your bunny is gonna be okay

edit::yeahthat

Hi varna!!

It sounds like Lucy should be okay.

You've already gotten some good advice from RO STAFF.

The veggies were probably the reason for the soft cecals. My buns onlyget greens once a week now. They are also on limited pellets. Problemswith soft/runny poops and/or cecals have seem to be less often. I havealso noticed an increase in the amount of hay and water they consume.

I was having an ongoing problem with one of our buns and ended upswitching her pellets from alfalfa to timothy. Alfalfa has lessprotien.Just recently I did the same thing with another oneof our buns with good results, too. Sometimes buns need an adjustmentin their diet as they get older.

The califlower may have made her a bit gassy. You could give her somesimethiconeif she remains bloated (Infant gas drops...onebrand is Mylicon).

I give my buns greens once or twice a week...strictly romaine.
No Veggies. No fruit except for dried papaya once a week.
1/2once of pellets per bunny pound (based on normal weight) per day.
1/2 tbsp rolled oats daily.
Unlimted timothy hay and fresh water.

When I first got buns, I gave them all kinds of stuff without realizingthat it was actually harming them in a way. I ended up with most ofthem overweight, lots of poop problems, constent shedding/molting, etc.It took a while to convert all 8 buns, but they now seem to be muchheathier. They've all lost some weight, they look good, and they seemto shed/molt less, too.

Give Lucy a hug....and keep us updated!

~Jim

Back