Should I split them up :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieR

Reaction score
Hello All,

I need some advice on my little guys.

Crumble - male - neutered - 2 years old
Sky - female - unneutered - 2 years old

Sky, the female has started humping Crumble, but she is chasing him around honking and when she does catch him she humps him, pulls out his fur and eats it. Sometimes he will run off, sometimes he will just lie there and let her do it.

I am going to get Sky neutered but she still has weight to loose before she is safe to be operated on. I had these guys from a rescue late last year & Sky was an extremely fat bunny & has been loosing weight since but still not enough. We are currently visiting the vets monthly for a 'weigh in' and they are being fed Excel light & hay only.

So until I can get Sky operated on safely what should i do?? I have read that on the net it is Sky's hormones but that pulling fur and eating it can be a sign of aggression & Crumble now has alot of fur missing - please see pic. I have also noticed he is not eating as much as he use too - because Sky is picking on him?? I dont know?! (but he is defo still eating!)

If I should split them should I arrange them so that they can still see each other or so they can not see each other? I do plan on getting Sky operated on ASAP so don't really want to break their bond if I don't have too.

We are at the vets again tomorrow but I know Sky will still not have lost enough to operate on, we will also find out if Crumble has lost weight or whether he is eating as normal and I am worrying too much!

Help.....

Jess x

crumbles back.jpg

Yeah I think it would be a good idea to split them up. If Sky is causing him to not eat as much as he should and it certainly doesn't help that she's tearing his fur out.

You can probably let them see each other through their cages. And maybe give them alternate times out. Like maybe Crumble can be out for 4-5 hours and Sky can be out the next 4-5 hours.

It sounds like they need to be separated. They might be able to have some supervised time together, but they should be living separately. Letting them see each other can be good as long as it doens't cause problems.

Some humping can be normal in a bonded pair, but it should not be getting aggressive.

The behaviour does sound hormonal, so should go away once she gets spayed.

Separating them will also allow your to better monitor both of their eating habits. It may help with her weight loss as well as she won't be able to eat his food. He should feel less stressed and eat more normally as well.

I believed some humping is normal in bonded pairs too.
I have not seen much rabbits that hoards their food.
But if it is aggressive, i believe you may be having some vet visits due to those fights.
But you are not!

Do share with us of your feeding habits for your rabbits.
Are the poop of normal sizes?

humping in a bonded pair may be normal but not to the point of the boy having a decreased appetite. Something is wrong and I agree with at least separating their living spaces. Letting them out together is an idea but they do need to be supervised.

Ok update on the situatio...we have the female bunny on a diet and she it loosing weight! She is now down to 3lbs. The male (pictured above) it much happier & eating normally. He is getting excited at feeding time now. They are both on Excel Light, and having Romaine Lettuce, Celery & coriander at the moment.

Just waiting for the vets to be happy with the females weight so we can operate on her :)

I had this problem with Buttons humping ALL the time to the point where he wouldnt even let Suri sleep! He NEEDS to be neutered. Since he's been done theres NO humping at all (although its normal to have humping from time to time)
I have bonded them again sinse surgery and they happily live together now. I would house them seperatly but next to one another so they can see and smell eachother and swap their toys and litter trays to keep their scents familiar. If this causes stress or agression stop immediatly but I bonded my pair in 5 days after following this advice.
:goodluck

Thanks for sharing your experience Hannaroo! I am keeping them with a mesh fence between them, so they can see and smell each other, they often sit at the same end of the fence near each other - makes me feel guilty i've split them up!! Sky is loosing weight now so we are hoping to be able to operate safely on her at the start of August :) thanks for the advice everyone, both bunnies seem very happy at the moment being separate :)

I'm glad it's helpful! It's pretty sad seeing them pine for eachother but it's for the best and they'll be together again before you know it. The time they spend apart will be nothing in comparison to all the years to come as a pair again! If all goes well by September you can start bonding! Just be consistent when swapping trays ect so it becomes the norm :) haha I wander if sky ate all the pellets before crumble! It would explain his weight loss and her chubby bunny bum! :D

Back