Should I separate the Trio?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kagerod

Reaction score
I have three bunnies - Rasputin, Napoleon, and Heim. All are 3 years old and fixed, with Rasputin being the only guy. The family I got them from only owned them for maybe a month, and before that I believe it was a farm..? They weren't very clear.

While trying to get them to a point where they can come and go of their cage freely, Heim never left the cage if I was there within the last few hours. Napoleon and Rasputin happily explored and she stayed inside. I started to leave them out for a day at a time, and she finally came out with me being gone. After the second day of this, I think she started to pee outside of the cage and litter boxes. It's never in a corner, just kind of randomly wherever she feels.

She also is not very interactive with me or the other two rabbits. I watch Rasputin and Napoleon groom each other all the time, lay next to each other, and just interact. The times I've seen her lick them or really do much with them I can count on one hand.

Would it be a good thing to try and give her her own cage and room to try and potty-train her separately, as well as socialize her with myself? I don't know if this would actually make her more timid or if it would help. My house is so small they would probably smell/hear each other... I'm at a loss for what to do. I honestly think the other two are great at being good house bunnies, and its just her. Any advice would be absolutely fantastic.

Since we can only guess at their socialization [or lack of] before, I'd say they weren't a bonded trio & she's really stressed & trying to be subservient [licking them without their licking her in return]. The other 2 seem to be a bonded pair.

My guess is that separation is the way to go. If the 3 aren't bonded, the other 2 could gang up on her & have a real fight. Seeing or smelling each other actually would be a good thing, if you eventually would want to try to form a trio. I think what I'd do it get an xpen [exercise pen] with an indoor/outdoor rug under it [edges outside the pen] & put her in it, at least until she's toilet trained & socialized with you. You can go in & sit on the floor, or sit adjacent to the pen & read, watch tv, etc until she gets more used to you. See if the pair comes to visit, ignores her, or what.

If they eventually are bonded, the xpen can become a temporary outdoor place to visit, with your supervision.

Latest posts

Back