Should I Pet her out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
Miss Priss is one the sister rabbits that I started out with, and as I would love to keep her, I don't have the space/time to separate her from all the rabbits so she would have her own area and play time. She's a mix rabbit, which means if I want to get serious about the breeding thing, she wouldn't work well into my program anyways, but on top of that, she's had two failed litters.

First litter: Her first litter ever, 3 kits, all died within 24 hours. I understood since it was her very first litter, and I didn't really expect it to go perfectly anyways.

Second litter: A total of 9 kits, and none made it past 4 days old. As far as I could tell she only had two nipples with milk in them, and they were odd shapen. I don't think she should be bred again.

I think it would be best to find her a proper pet home, but it's a hard decision. Any opinions on this situation?

I would pet her out just on the fact that she is a mixed rabbit. You could "pet her out" to yourself, and keep her as your own pet if you don't want to let her go.

She's got two huge factors working against her: her pedigree (or lack thereof) and her lack of mothering instincts. This makes her totally useless to any breeding program whatsoever. But as Lela says, you can always keep her as a pet for yourself before you decide that you have to give her up to someone else...

Good Luck!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you're starting a breeding program you may want to seperate all your rabbits. I'm just picturing them sharing cages like a pet... too much hassel, and its hard to tell what is going on with each individual.

but you already answered your origional question. Pet home, or make her your own pet.

They are in a large enclosure at the moment until I can get the material for the hutch I want to build. =) They get a lot of interaction and I pay attention to each one individually even though they are all in the same 'cage'.

it wasn't the paying attention and things that concerned me... its once they start breeding exc, does can get super aggressive. And I just find it hard to watch what everyone eats, if someone is sick you can't check those particular poos since they're all mixed lol.

But you said you were building hutches. Soo my above was rambling lol

Lol it's alright. It's just temporary. =) I've had a couple people say they were gonna build me hutches, but it's been a couple months since I got my first rabbits, so I'm just going to go out and buy my own stuff this next pay check.

They're almost finsihed :) In another post you'll notice I got two new rabbits, and they got their own hutch and everything. And Miss Priss has gone onto a wonderful new home. :)

Latest posts

Back