Should i go to this show?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLions18

Reaction score
Their is a local breeder by me who is going to a show this weekend, and her rabbits and babies have been dieing from Mucoid Enteritis. And we do the same 2 breeds. Is this something that my rabbits could get from being in the same room? Or would they have to touch them? Would it be rude to explain to her why she should not take her rabbits? This is the last show that is close enough for me to go to until next year.
Thanks!

enteritis i dont believe is contagious. It has to do with a malfunction in that babies development and being unable to transfer properly from mommas milk to solid food. If all of her rabbits are having it I think there is something wrong in her animal management, whether she may need to change food is up to her.

If there is mucous on her rabbits bottoms then they will most likely get disqualified. She really shouldn't take any affected rabbit to the show because it's really a waste of money. Our californian baby that had that problem was weak and had a horrible dull and rough coat. He was also dehydrated and passed a couple of days later.

I would also, if you could, talk to a judge about it and ask if it's contagious because really I am not sure. I know it wouldn't be contagious via air but if it would be it would be via contact. It's really up to you but if it were me I would go if my rabbits were all healthy. Maybe not take any young rabbits though.

Hmmmm. Im a germ freak with them lol. Bleach my hands and shoes every time i go into the rabbitry, kinda OCD really lol they only go to maybe 2 shows a year. And their feet,butt, belly get scrubbed down before they go back into their cages lol. This lady is good for saying she is going to show, but shows up with no rabbits walks around then leaves. So i will see if she gos or not.

haha i would go then :p and if you're ocd maybe bring some disinfectant and towels with you in case you have to spray out a mucoid cage

Oh my thats a good idea! I think i will do so lol Maybe i will even bring some hand sanitizer for the judge
:biggrin2:

The people who are holding the show must have some rules.

At our shows, the Show Superintendent/Show Committee reserves the right to reject any rabbits suffering from disease or displayed in an unfit or in unclean condition.
All animals are subject to a health inspection prior to being judged. Animals not adhering to health standards outlined by Show Superintendant/Show committee must be removed from the building.

We supply hand cleaners, and spray disinfecting solutions for the coops where the rabbits are being judged.

I even provide lint rollers to the judges at our show. :biggrin2:

You may want to info the show committee of the issue. They should know that there may be sick rabbits there that they need to keep an eye out for. You don't have to be really public about it, so an e-mail or a more private conversation can be good. If you have any evidence (like a facebook post or something), show them that so it is not just you trying to make trouble.

just polietly and quitely explain to her why she shouldn't bring them. I know a lady near me-raising dutch and Rex- tha tlost 21 so far to the enteritis and she can't figure out where it came from or anything-she's a control freak(her words not mine). If she gets defensive just quietly talk to the show secretary so they can keep their eyes open for it.

Also
My lionhead buck i brought home almost 3 weeks ago ever since the day i brought him home he will do a little dry cough then sneeze. NOW their is NO snot, no wet nose no crustys on his front legs, so what the heck? He does it 2-3 times a day. Now if he does this when i take him to a show will he be deemed sick? Because hes not lol I went to the breeders and was in her barn NO rabbit sneezed while i was their. And boy is he beautiful.

That could be allergies, Alot of mine sneeze like taht at a show as well but once they get home-notta. That could possibly be from smells that he's still getting used to or allergies.

I havemy rabbits in a stall in my barn. I moved him into the house just in case. Nothing since i moved him inside. Must be dust. Thank god because he was not cheap.

RoyalLions18 wrote:
I havemy rabbits in a stall in my barn. I moved him into the house just in case. Nothing since i moved him inside. Must be dust. Thank god because he was not cheap.

Glad to hear the sneezing disappeared after the move inside.

K:)

Latest posts

Back