Should i get my rabbits microchipped

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the thing I am currently living at my parents house until I can pay off my student loan. When I move out on myy own my bunnies will be free roam in my whole house. Since I'm getting Hunter nuetered in about a month I figured if I'm gonna get them microchipped it may as well be then. I'm just not sure if I shuld do it or not. I mean if they did get out it would be good for them to be microchipped, but I just don't know if it would be worth it what are the odds they ever get out? Maybe I just worry too much. :?

The shelter I got one of mine from microchips rabbits. It's nice just in case they get out and lost. It's also one of the only ways to prove ownership of an animal. I work at a vet hospital and there have been incidents of stolen/found animals and problems with proving ownership.

I have an account with www.pethub.com. And I have those tags on their cage, xpen, and carrier. So, if there was some sort of emergency, their information is easily accessible.

(I just have the basic free account for my bunnies and dog, but they do have premium accounts that are still really cheap)

(I also set my mom up with an account for each of her pets)

I would call your local shelters and ask if they truthfully even check rabbits. I asked the same question to the sanctuary that I got my buns from and they said it probably won't help as the shelters around us don't check rabbits. They just assume that they were dumped because it happens so often.
I was considering the same thing, but decided against it because if they don't check, what's the point? However, it might different if your area is a little more "bunny" friendly. If they are going in for a neuter anyway, it's better safe than sorry, but it's ultimately your decision. Hope I helped!

It would never occur to me to microchip Agnes. She is never outside and won't get away. It's just not needed.

I do have all mine microchipped for a little peace of mind. My rabbits are free roam in the house, so what if they were to push a screen out of the window or run out behind someone (although they don't charge the doors, you never know). They go out in the stroller and two are therapy rabbits, so they are out a bit. I guess it just gives me a little more assurance we could PROVE who they are if anything horrible would happen.

Latest posts

Back