Should I get Benny a friend..?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kacyrenee

Reaction score
I have a male rabbit who is currently in the beginning stages of sexual maturity. As soon as his testicles descend, I want to get him neutered. Do you think after he is healed it would be a good idea to adopt a (spayed) lady friend for him? I'm only nervous that if they don't get along, I won't be able to keep them both. I need them to be able to coexist happily. Ben is a pretty mellow guy, but I've never tried to introduce him to any other animal. :? I interact a lot with him on a daily basis.. But I am just worried that he won't be as happy as he could be without another bun!

i did this with my first rabbit and they got along fine - she was very timid tho'. when i was deciding to get him a friend i did allow for the possiblilty of them not getting along. i had separate accomodation available just in case.

it took time and effort to socialize them - all on my part as it had to be supervised. again - just in case:rollseyes

i do wish i had been able to arrange play dates:Dthe breeder i use doesnt vaccinate her bunnys as they are show buns and she couldnt let the prospective girlfriend out of the pen:rollseyes

Alright.. The play date thing sounds good. I am looking at 2 from a local shelter that basically look exactly the same as him. It would probably be best to wait until he is neutered to take him in, yes?

Oh and also.. Is it better to go older or younger when introducing a new rabbit? Ben is really young and the other rabbits that I'm looking at are a little older than he is.

I have a male rabbit called Benny who lived on his own until he was ready to be neutered. As it happened we took in an unspayed rescue rabbit at the time and got them both done at the same time. Two weeks after their operations the were best friends and they've been living together ever since. It went incredibly smoothly. the whole bonding took only a day or two but that may not be the norm.

Thank you. :) He is my little stud. I think I will probably wait until he is done with the neutering, because his temperament is a little off with the hormonal changes he's going through. :(

Latest posts

Back