should i get another one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagrl

Reaction score
there is someone who is giving her rabbit away. she is a 2 year old dwarf of what kind i dont know. she will be getting spayed before i get her. my rabbit that i just named simba is a male, i think i did the sexing soooo..., who i will be getting neutured in the next few weeks if he is old enough. this new rabbit will come with a cage. i was wondering if it is ok to get a new rabbit im going to be reading up on bonding. will the age difference be a factor?

Rabbits are just fine on their own and can lead normal happy lives with out another bunny, youre their companion too, so are toys and chews and stuffies.

Regardless if you choose to get this other rabbit, you need to be prepared to care for 2 rabbits on their own seperate cages, as there are equal chances they may not bond and wont like each other.

Personally I would wait and pass this one up, you JUST got your current bunny, as a surprise and weren't quite prepared for him. You may change your mind in the future.

yea i understand i get kind of excited. the rabbit will come with a cage and she is soo sweet and hasnt had a good life but i will seriously think about it. thank you

I have one bun that is a widdow and doing well on her own. I also have a pair. There's nothing sweeter than seeing two buns so in love, but nothing more terrifying than seeing two buns try to kill each other.

If you are able to keep both happily on their own then sure, go ahead. If you then choose to introduce them please wait a full 6 weeks after the last neutering so the buns have a chance to heal fully and for the hormones to go away. Take it slow and know they may not like eachother.

It can depend on what will be this rabbit's fate if you pass? If it will be ok then I would suggest getting your little one fixed and after healing let him pick his mate if you still want another. Just some things to think about. :)

I would suggest taking your bun over to meet the other rabbit, you can usually tell on the first meet, if they even would eventually like to be around each other. My bunny needed another one, I found this out because he kept having such a huge attitude and I could tell he was bored. I took him with me to a shelter that had a lot of bunnies up for adoption. He instantly became kind of attached to this one male, so I adopted him and they are still a little iffy but I can tell it is all going to work out in the end. The important thing is for your bun to decide, it may be difficult if she is not spayed yet though, because she may be raging with hormones and not give your bun a chance until after she is spayed.

yea i read i should wait a month after the last rabbit is spayed or netured to start introducing them. she is not a dwarf but im pretty sure she is a rex not 100% sure but looked alot like some i looked at on the internet. she loves to be petted and will sit there all day the lady said and get rubbed on the back. this would be her 4th home and the people before the lady who has her now had her mostly in the cage both of them. she will have her own room to run around in until they are bonded then she will come into my room and live there. this is if i get her still thinking about it. but its about what is best for both rabbits. mine and her. she might be a mini rex i dont know for sure

if she hasnt had a good life, id say take it and give her an amazing one. when i move out of my parents i plan on getting another bunny, but in a separate cage. its not really a big deal to have more than one. :) if theres a chance to make an animal happy, i always take it.

flagrl wrote:
yea i read i should wait a month after the last rabbit is spayed or netured to start introducing them. ............
........ she will have her own room to run around in until they are bonded then she will come into my room and live there......
Thats mainly a rule for males as even after their nackers get removed theres still the chance theres some swimmers in their pipes and they can still get an unfixed female pregnant. So if the female is fixed prior, theres nothing left to get pregnant. But any animal after sugery needs to remain confined and quiet for a few weeks.

If you're going to get another rabbit, thats the wrong way to think about it. You have to go into it assuming youre going to have 2 seperate cages/areas for the rabbits for their entire life. There is no guarantee they will bond even with everything you read.

You should give it awhile, youve only just gotten your current bunny and that was quite a surprise to you, you dont want to jump into things too quickly. There are ALWAYS bunnys looking for homes so another will pop up in the future.
Give your rabbit more of a chance to get used to you first and bond with you rather then another rabbit right away.

We see nothing wrong with having two bunnies--not all bunnies will take to a bonding though. All of ours live in the same room but are only out by themselves. They can all see each other through their hutches and are placed close together. Didn't want to bond or try to bond in case someone wanted to adopt.

ok so i got her today. i think i could give her a good forever home. if my bunnies dont bond then we will keep them separate wont try to bond them until after both are spayed and neutered. my new girl the owners that had her before me is going to pay for the spay or neuter forgot which one is which. she is sweet. i think a new Zealand but am not 100% sure. she just started coming out of her cage she loves to be petted and will come to me and nudge my hand. her name is foo foo but am thinking of changing her name. i am so happy she is soooo cute and sweet

You have to be prepared or it will fail epicly. Rabbits are social animals and need someone to love them whether rabbit or human. My rabbits socialize throught the cage wire and i know thay cant get in a fight and hurt each other through the wire just licks and kisses for them. ( they like to do it to me to hehe)

I have two rabbits that aren't getting along at the moment. A bit of advice: go slow with the bonding process, always end on a good note with both rabbits. Always keep them separated until they are bonded.

I have Sweetie in her cage and Pudden in the other cage. I only take both of them outside and they do pretty well outside, they don't fight as much as they would inside.

Always do the bonding sessions in a neutral area never in a semi-neutral area until they are getting along in the neutral area.

I have a thread entitled: Bonding your rabbits to each other. It has a link to a website that may help you bond your rabbits.

Some rabbits bond instantly, like Prince and Sweetie did (Prince is no longer alive, which is why I have Pudden), and some rabbits will never bond, and some rabbits take a long time to bond. So I would be prepared for this.

I am not sure if Sweetie and Pudden will bond but I do have hope that they will and it will just take time. Possibly a year or more.

Wow - you got her, a new world for you all. Welcome to your new normal - lol!

Taking in a 2nd, with the idea of bonding is fantastic, I bonded my boy to a girl and it was a journey for us all (a good one). Just took time and alot of patience - so keep that in mind when you may want to pull your hair out.

Post back soon on how its going - here if you have questions.

I think It is great that you got her. Even though my Desmond picked out a male and It didn't look positive. I know it will work out, you have to just have positive energy around them, and it sounds like you're prepared in case it doesn't. I had just built a 3 story cage for my rabbits before I got charlie and he isn't nuetered yet so whether they want to be together yet or not they cant so charlie has the top floor and Desmond has the two bottom floors. I would like to connect them in the future, but at least they have positive energy of the way things are now. The important thing is to just never let them have a bad fight, water gun works well :) Good luck, and thanks for taking in a bun, so many need good homes... :)

"Well, we've had them bite each other thru the wire, so that's not always a deterrent."

true. i wonder if they're like cats who sometimes give love bites and i would know this hurt especialy when it is a cat with a strong jaw.

Latest posts

Back