Should I get another bun??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahri22

Reaction score
Well, since losing Little Hoppy Hoppy I'vereally missed having a bunny around. I loved my little guy so much thatlosing him broke my heart and for awhile I really wasn'tready for another bunny. There's no way I can replace my little guy,and I don't want to...but I do want a bun :hearts:apollo: I just lovethem so much!!

Anyway, my mum rang me earlier today asking me if I wanted a freebunny. (NOt that I wouldn't pay for one!!) She saw an ad in the paperfrom some people who are giving away their bunny because they aremoving. The one thing that concerns me is that it is a "mini" bunny(didn't specify a breed) and I'm afraid my cats would see it as prey...

Little Hoppy Hoppy was an average sized bun, I suppose. He was smallerthan the cats, but fiesty enough that he bossed them around!! He wouldhave been a bit over 2kg I think (4 - 4.5 pounds). I was worried aboutthe cats and him at first, but if anything I should have been moreworried that he'd harrass them!! However, I just don't know how they'dgo with a smaller bun. I'm also worried a smaller bun wouldbe more afraid of the cats!!

Of course, I also have the problem of getting my husband to agree toanother rabbit! Little Hoppy Hoppy used to chew his computer cords(which he'd set up in the kitchen)!! I also want a new cage because theone we had before was a small metal one with bars on the bottom. LittleHoppy Hoppy was inside most of the day, but still had to sleep in thatcage, and I always said I'd get him a better one one day, and sadly Inever got the chance to!! I promised that if I got another bun Iwouldn't keep it in the yucky old cage!! I love the idea of the NICcages, but not sure what they'd be called here in Australia, or whereto get them from. I want my buns to have a really fun cage so ifthey're stuck in the cage, at least they won't get bored!!

Fiona

It's not the size of the rabbit in the fight, but the size of the fight in the rabbit.:)

No seriously, my smallest little 2 lb princess bun would looooooove totear into my kitties. And I think it was Runestones who has alittle lionhead that bosses her cats around. So it reallydoes depend on the rabbit's personality, and you'll have to watch yourcats and train them not to be rough with the rabbit.

For the computer cords, it's best to block them off with a bit offencing or put a protective cover on the wires. I use spiralwrap, others use split tubing, aquarium tubing, etc. Checkthe electronic department of a home improvement store.

As for a cage, have you seen our NIC cages? You can find theshelving grids we use for those in Australia. They'refabulous cages and very inexpensive too, even compared to dog cratesand such. And you can do what Maherwoman and I have done,which is attach hardware cloth (fine wire mesh) to the cage walls sothe cats can't stick their paws in.

I love the NIC cages, so I was doing someresearch into similar things in Australia, and I think I should be ableto pick up something at the local hardware store. Just gotta convincemy hubby to let me get another bun :)

He said, and I quote, "There are just no advantages to getting a bunny." I can't say I agree!!

However, I talk about bunnies all the time...I discussed the NIC cageswith him (or should I say, I talked a lot about them to him...) and I'mhoping to wear him down...The kids are also on my side! My six year oldson loves bunnies (the others like them too, but he's particularly fondof bunnies).

naturestee wrote:
It's not the size of the rabbit in the fight, but the sizeof the fight in the rabbit.:)

No seriously, my smallest little 2 lb princess bun would looooooove totear into my kitties. And I think it was Runestones who has alittle lionhead that bosses her cats around. So it reallydoes depend on the rabbit's personality, and you'll have to watch yourcats and train them not to be rough with the rabbit.
:yeahthat

When I had my little mini-Rex Lucky (who unfortunately didn't live togrow up...:() he was no bigger than an afterthought...he'd fit rightinto the palm of a hand. Yet when he ran loose in the kitchen both catsgave him a wide berth. One of my cats, Fritz, is an outdoor guy, andwill prey on small animals (fortunately he's not quite adept enough nowto catch anything, but he likes to pretend he can). Yet he was gentleas a lamb with Lucky, and Lucky bugged him to no end. He lovedfollowing Fritz's tail, and would try to climb on him if Fritz waslying down...which of course is an absoluteinsult to a cat'sdignity.

It's funny, I never did worry about cat/rabbit interaction, as I'vefound that the two tend to get along quite well. If the cat is youngand/or too frisky with the rabbit, then a bit of monitoring, orseparation, and slow integration of the two will usually work. (**Ishould've mentioned that the same goes the other way too, if the rabbitis too frisky for the cat's liking...)

Now all you have to do is work on your husband... :) (You think he'dnotice if another rabbit suddenly showed up? Maybe you could say itjust sorta 'appeared'...hehe)

ahri22 wrote:
Ilove the NIC cages, so I was doing some research into similar things inAustralia, and I think I should be able to pick up something at thelocal hardware store. Just gotta convince my hubby to let me getanother bun :)
Hey there,

For the nic cubes,try the big W stores,over here in Adelaide we haveplenty of them in our big W stores,they are the coloured one's though.

I have read other members on an australian rabbit list,saying that theyfound theirs in big W,and they were from Victoria as well.

Also try the go lo store,sometimes they have them as well,i've seen them sell white ones and black ones as well.

Good luck!

cheryl

Thanks, I'll try Big W. I also read somewhereelse that they sell something similar in Bunning's stores, so I have afew places to check out! I want to make a really great place for a newbun :)

I won't be able to get the bun I wanted as it's already gone :( but I'mbringing my husband around to the idea of another bun...Hopefully I'llhave one soon!!:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back