Should I even attempt to bond these two?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchellfoster

Reaction score
I bought Tobias and Balthazar last June. We caged them together for several months and they shared it without problems. Around their 3/4 month birthday, they got into a huge fight and we had to separate them. Since then, they haven't really had any interaction with each other outside of their cages...I let them out one at a time. But when they are caged, I keep them close by each other...we've always kept their cages close to each other.

I know rabbits have very good memories and it's very possible that they will remember their incident, but is it still worth a shot to bond the two? They are currently unaltered, but I don't plan on bonding them until they are altered (waiting for tax-return money).

Rabbits do hold grudges, so you many need to take it slow so they can overcome it.

Since they probably fought due to the hormones, they could get along once neutered. I would wait at least 2 months after the neuter to be sure the hormones are gone.

I would give it a shot, but go slowly. They would need time to get to know each other again and rushing won't help.

On a few occasions, we've had them out together for a brief time. They spent most of the time humping each other very heavily...but they were not aggressive at all. I figured they weren't aggressive because they were too busy thinking the other was a female, but then I've read on here that dominance is very normal...so now I'm just a bit lost. I'll definitely give it a shot, because I want to be able to house them together in a single pen that I plan on building this summer.

Dominance is definitely normal and they will need to establish who is boss. The problems arise at that point if one refuses to be bossed around. They may not be aggressive at first but if they cannot establish hierarchy, they may become aggressive.Two unaltered males is very risky business. You'd have a higher chance once they are neutered but that's not guaranteed either. Once they are neutered, you could try a split playpen type setup and see how they react to the proximity of the other. I think it is worth trying once they are neutered but I think you should expect that it doesn't work,but hope that it does. It's already a good thing if they don't simply attack each other on sight :p

My bun, Maybelle, she refuses to have any bunny even think of bossing her around. She could seriously seriously hurt any other bunny so I will not even attempt to bond her at all. She's just way too aggressive. Sometimes, you have a bun like that and it's just not worth the risk. :)

Really, I should expect it not to work? That's unfortunate. Apparently, my mom lets them out at the same time when I'm not home (I told her not to do it, but she won't listen to me)...she says they haven't really done anything but dominate each other. I guess that worries me a bit because neither of them seem like the type of bunny who will let someone else push them around. Tobias is very laid back most of the time, but seems to be very independent and has an air of intelligence about him. Balthazar is just a little devil. He pulls at the carpet, goes behind stuff, jumps up on top of his cage, pushes and dumps his litter pan...he's very messy, and can be fairly aggressive.

Granted, some of their tendencies may disappear after they are fixed, but will their personalities really change all that much?

Oh no no. I meant in the sense of not having expectations. Like, being prepared in case you have to always house them separately. I wouldn't say it's impossible. It all depends on the buns. They usually mellow quite a bit with the neutering so it does play a major role. They may be less destructive but sometimes bunnies just love destroying things, neutered or not. Lol. I definitely think it can play a big role in them tolerating each other. :)

Latest posts

Back