Should I Do This?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreoTheBunny

Reaction score
I was looking around online about Oreos eye. I had thought he went blind in the left eye because it is a milky light bluish white now. All it's doing is running and causing him to be uncomfortable. Its all red around the edges, too. I read online about removing a rabbits eye because he was blind and runny like Oreo's. Would it be possible (and sensible) to remove his eye? I think its only causing him pain/uncomfort. I wanted to get all of yours opinion on this before I think any deeper into this. Has any of you dealt with a half blind rabbit before?

An experienced vet would be able to remove the eye with relatively little discomfort on his end.

I would see what the vet thinks, as it definitely sounds like an eye infection. It might clear up with just a round of antibiotics.

We have been giving him antibiotics off and on for 2 months now. It helps for a while but this time it just doesn't seem to help.

Has the rabbit seen a vet and been prescribed antibiotics or are you just self treating?

I highly recommend a trip to the vet. It sounds like it has gotten to the point where some eye tests need to be run. If it is a scratch or ulcer on the eye antibiotics wont necessarily help.

Yes they are prescribed from the vet. The antibiotic usually runs out after about 10 days, then he's fine for a couple weeks and then his eye starts to act up again. We're taking him to the vet tomorrow.

When I was a kid we had a rabbit that was blind in one eye. She never seemed to have any issues and would even run all over the yard and climb on a giant wood pile we had. Rabbits seem to do great adjusting to almost anything!

Perhaps the infection has become resistant to the particular antibiotic being used. Another could possibly work, And I'd certainly use benebac or another probiotic no matter what else is done.

It also sounds like it might be something in the enviornment causing a reoccurring reaction. Have you tried switching anything in the environment? Such as hay, litter, etc? If you do switch things do it one at a time and not all at once.

Did the vet give a differential diagnosis?

Alright. We just got back from the vet. I knew I said we would go yesterday but that was kind of delayed... Anyway, the vet said it was an infected ulcer and that the eye was either going to have to be removed or wait until the eye ruptures. The vet also said that there would be very little pain to him because the nerves will stretch out. I would've said right away to remove the eye but they said there was a very large chance that he wouldn't wake up from the anesthetic because his blood pressure is low from his age. I was crying at the vets and probably made a fool out of myself but I don't care at this point. What do you guys advise I should do? I was thinking about letting the eye rupture and not take the chance of removing it. Im so confused.

How old is Oreo and does the vet think he is in pain?

I had a rabbit that had to have his eye removed because of recurrant abcess infections. He was actually blind and deaf on both sides because the infections were left go for so long (I got him from the rescue like this, his old owners were the horrible people who left him in this state). He did really well after we figured out how to communicate. Because being blind and deaf he had a hard time at first finding treats that I tried to hand him. He could smell it but then would box to get me to drop it on the floor for him to eat. I started to tap him on the forehead lightly twice to let him know I was giving him a treat. From then on he would take the food like a gentleman because he knew I was holding it for him. Unfortunately the abcess came back and he passed during emergency surgery.

Latest posts

Back