Should I be worried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrybuns

Reaction score
I was cleaning Fergie's cage today and she hopped up onto Jasper's like she usually does but this time her fat butt caused the top to fall over (cage came with her and only one snap but I gave her the bigger cage cause she is the bigger rabbit) long story short I had left the room for a moment just before this happened because my son was crying. I came back to find him humping her, so I grabbed a water bottle to squirt on them ( heard that was how you were supposed to stop it) and then he fell off her backwards before I could do anything. Is he going to be ok? When will I know if she got herself knocked up? I've never owned a female before.

He is a 5 month old lionhead mix and she is about 1 year old mini lop

I think that the rabbit gestation period is about a month long. So you should probably be able to tell in a week or two.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I belive that there are some issues with older rabbits getting pregnant who have never given birth before. If she's a year old and this is the first time she's been bred you may want to consider getting her spayed and abort the babies is she is pregnant. I'm not 100% certain as I'm new to rabbits and not a breeder, but I think it's unsafe to breed a year old female who has never had a litter before. Something about the pelvis fusing?

You have a very high probability that she is pregnant. Rabbits are induced ovulators, so the act of mating triggers the release of eggs.

The gestation period is 28-32 days, but I would wait 36 just to be sure. Waiting is pretty much the only sure way to tell, unless you get and x-ray or ultrasound done by the vet in about two or three weeks. Many experienced breeders can palpitate, but that takes practice and it is easy to mistake poops for babies.

There is the opportunity to spay her now and avoid any possible pregnancy. This would avoid any birthing complications and the possibility of losing your girl.

-Dawn

Really? How long after do I have to spay her? I spoke to the vet about having the spay and neuters done once I as back from my holidays March 12-23 but that was before the horndog got to Jasper.

I would be inclined to do it as early as possible. Could you get her done a week before you leave so that she can be well on her way to recovery when you leave? I find that about 5 days is needed after a spay to make sure they are doing well, and after that I would be okay leaving them in the care of someone else.

You should call your vet's office and discuss with them what they are comfortable with. Some vets are not comfortable doing a late spay/abort, and others will do it right up until the very end. So, you should find out what your vet is comfortable with.

-Dawn

I just called and he is booked up for another week. I don't think I could bring myself to do it a week later. So if she is pregnant I am just going to have to make room for the new additions as I only know of one good home I would be willing to send one to. I went to change her water about half an hour ago and found her bed with fur already pulled in it. I didn't think that was normal so I took a pic. Also she growled at me when I went to take the water dish. Seems a little early in the game for this behaviour.
nest001.jpg

Each rabbit is different, and behave differently through out pregnancy.

You may be lucky and she may be having a false pregnancy. Normally if a rabbit pulls fur with in the first two weeks, she is having a false pregnancy. However, that is no guarantee, and you should treat her as if she is pregnant.

If she did not "lift" her back end when the male was mounting her, then his sperm would have been put on her back and not her genitals. This could cause her to have a false pregnancy where her body thinks it's pregnant but she's really not.

Normally a false pregnancy causes them build a nest and pull fur with out actually giving birth. They will get crabby and moody as well.

-Dawn

Okay thank you so much Dawn I really appreciate the info.I am going to read up on rabbit pregnancy incase and the boys will be neutered as soon as I am back as planned. I will hold out oh her spay until after Easter just incase.

Latest posts

Back