Should I be worried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question. While checking Wiggles, I found a bump where she had had her stitches. It's kinda hard, not red or anything. Not warm, no irritation around, just a smallish hard bump. Should I have it checked? :?

Is the lump under the skin?

Were they dissolving stitches, or normal stitches that were later taken out? If they are dissolving stitches it's possible that part didn't dissolve properly and is causing some irritation. I had that problem with Fey when she got stitched up after an accident. My vet just took her into the surgical room to make a tiny cut so he could see what was in the lump since it didn't feel right for an abscess. He saw the thread and just cut it and pulled it out. Voila, no anesthetic, no surgery, no antibiotics. And fortunately for me, no charge!

I'd have it checked out. Hopefully it's an easy fix like mine was- Fey's started out like a really small lump but the vet couldn't see her for several days. By that time it was larger and red with irritation. There is a possibility for an abscess, but that should be less likely from a sterile surgery.

I am worried about an abcess which is why i was asking. Yes, it is under the skin. She had normal stitches and when I took her to the vet, she had only one left as apparently she took the others out herself. I had checked her every few hours, and though I didn't see as many stitches, I saw no irritation or injury so I didn't worry.

I guess I will have to go back then :(I've already spent over 400$. *Sighs* I won't put money over it but I wish this would be done and over with.

Thanks for the help.

Can you get a good photo of it?

Best to see the vet regardless, because an abscess is nothing to fool with, and it will present as a hard lump with no irritation. But a little build up of scar tissue is very common and presents the same way.

Did it suddenly grow or is it something you just sort of noticed? Is it any bigger now than it was when you first noticed it? Is it round or elongated?

Poor Wiggles, she's been through so much. And poor MsBinky! :pet:

sas :clover:

It seems to have been growing which is why it's bothering me so much. Luckily, I check numerous times a day. I thought maybe it could be scar tissue or just some swelling that was healing because obviously I didn't mess around with her on the days she had just been operated. But since it's hard and round it bugs me.

Maybe I am overreacting... But instinct tells me to double-check and make sure. I have a rabbit that died after an abcess developped from her malocclusion and the infection spread... I do not want togo throughthat experience again.

I'm really drained :tears2:

I don't know if a photo would help... I doubt I'll be able to take one anyway as the camera sucks with close-ups. It doesn't really show to the naked eye. It's really more when you feel it. I will try anyway...

It's definitely a dragthat she has a lump,but it's unlikely to be a serious one even if it is an abscess. Not the kind that you just can't get rid of,that grows tentacles and the like. It shouldbe localized andan easy fix. Lancing, cleaning, not much more.

Try not to worry. :hug:

Really.

sas :clover:

Thanks for your kind words. Just has been a very emotional week and I am trying to stay strong, but finding it hard to deal with everything alone. I adore my bunnies and they have always always been my biggest comfort. I hate to think one can be hurt or ill. :tears2:Ok ok, no worries, no worries... *Keeps repeating it over and over*

You know that when we heal and I am assuming bunnies do this as well - we get little places sometimes where the white blood cells gather and form a little cyst like thing. It's not harmful - it's actually our bodies sort of OVERHEALING?

Let's hope that's all this is. How big would you say it is? I know my dog had a little place like that when she was spayed.

Generally, vets won't charge for a recheck on something like that from the surgery.

Back