Should I be worried now or later?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
Hi, I don't post much but I do read the forums weekly.

I have a ~5 m.o. male flemish giant named Rory. He is the half brother of my former flemish Willow who I lost to GI stasis.

Rory was neutered last Monday and came through it well, no issues.

I just went in to say goodnight and saw three areas of diarrhea in his cage. He has never had this issue before. It had to have happened in the last 2 hours as I was playing with him earlier. His bum did have a bit of liquid poop on it. I cleaned the pen, took out his pellets and left only water and timothy hay.

He is eating the exact same thing my 4 y.o. Californian is eating in the pen next door. Oxbow bunny basics. He even had the same greens. I can hear his tummy making noise without my stethoscope. He is still drinking water and eating hay - I watched him. He also still is playing and demanding pets.

The question - should I try to contact my vet now (its 10pm here) or wait until the morning? Should I get out the critical care now or wait and see if he has more diarrhea?

Why must these things always happen at night? I am worried because of how quickly I lost my last flemish (it was less than 12 hours from when I noticed he was a bit 'off'). I also don't want to be calling/emailing my vet in the middle of the night if its not an emergency.

Is it true watery diarrhea or just mushy poop? Is he on any medications or is there anything new in his diet? How is his poop now? Is he continuing to have diarrhea? If so, it would be best to get him to the vet right away, as young rabbits can dehydrate very quickly. It's very concerning to have a young rabbit with ongoing diarrhea and loud gurgling sounds coming from the belly.

If it was just a small amount of diarrhea and you aren't seeing anymore, it might not be quite as critical, but with rabbits it can be really hard to tell. Sometimes a new food can cause a little bit of runny poop, but parasites and bacteria can also cause diarrhea, and those usually need immediate treatment. It is good though, that your rabbit is still acting normal and wanting to eat. Feeding critical care isn't really necessary as long as he is still eating good on his own and the diarrhea isn't an ongoing thing. No treats, veggies, or pellets, and only grass hay and water are going to be the best thing for him right now, until you get him to the vet. Unless the diarrhea is continuing and he is getting dehydrated, then electrolytes may be needed, but best to get to the vet and they can give fluids.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Last edited:
Just checked up on him. No poops in the cage. Maybe he just had too many greens for dinner?

The poop was watery with some formed pellets of poop in it. It was definitely watery and not just mushy poop.

His last dose of metacam after the surgery was on Wednesday and other than that he isn't on any meds.

I sent my vet an email but I think she is already in bed. (I have her personal email for bunny emergencies only). Since the runny poop has stopped I'll keep checking him through the night and call when they open so see if I can get him in.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I just realized he did get scared pretty bad this evening. He was sitting on his window seat in the house when I went by on the riding mower outside. I saw him jimp down and run off. Maybe scared the poop outta him.

He is munching on his hay right now and let me have a good listen to his gut with my stethoscope. I compared him to my other rabbit and he did not seem hyperactive.

I did send oit an email to my coworkers to see if anyone can pick up my 12 hour evening shift just in case

Can be caused by any number of things. Animals get upset stomachs just like people. If it persists badly for multiple days I'd say to treat it... but a vet trip at this point is a silly uncalled for waste of money. Frankly a rushed "right away" vet trip can cause more harm than good in nany cases.

So far solid poops all nightlong on hay only. Of course im getting no sleep. Will call vet when they open just for a conversation about what she thinks

Talked with the vet. Since it was only one instance she wants me to watch him today with hay only. He is gonna be mad that he doesn't get his pellets :eek:

He is doing fine. He has had some pellets witj no ill effects. Since im off today ill start him back on a few herbs and see how it goes.

My vet said I can bring him in at any point today if needed. I love my new vet.

Loved by:
Rory- flemish giant
Zander - Californian
Arwen - Australian shepherd
Binky Free:
Frodo, Merry, Gandalf and Willow

My vet just called to check up on him. She is so sweet

Loved by:
Rory- flemish giant
Zander - Californian
Arwen - Australian shepherd
Binky Free: