Should I adopt this bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonDaisy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty sure most people don't read my blog, so I'll post this out here, lol.
I bought my own home and will be moving at the end of August, there's this bunny at the shelter here and I'm wondering if I should adopt him or not. His name is "Cuddly"and he's been there since late 2006 and I just feel sorryfor him being homeless all this time.
I phoned to inquire about him earlier and was told he's "really old," his bond mate recently died, that he's in a foster home and it's 40 dollars to adopt a rabbit. Here is a picture of him:
cuddly1web.jpg

For those of you that don't know I currently have two rabbits, Ookpik (female/spayed) and Newt (male/neutered.) I've had Newt for 22 months now and they're still not bonded. But since I've moved them to a different room and their cages are attached with only a wall of grids separating them, they've been grooming each other through the bars.
100_1189.jpg

I'm pretty sure Ookpik grooms Newt also, because he ended up bald on the top of his head, lol. I let them out together for the first time in a long time to see how it would go. They sniffed noses a few times before Ookpik started trying to bite Newt in the butt when his back was turned. But she wasn't really biting him or at least not hard and that is a huge improvement over her former boxing, chasing bitingand lunging!

So. Is there hope that Ookpik and Newt will bond? Will adopting Cuddly ruin their relationship? (if you can call it that.) What if Newt and Cuddly bond? Cuddly will die much sooner than Newt and do I want to put Newt through that? Or since we'll be in 100% neutral space I could bond the three of them. Or I could adopt Cuddly and keep him separate from mine altogether, but he must beterribly lonely since his partner died.
I guess I just need opinions from other rabbit owners. My mom said I "have to get him" because the poor thing's been there so long. My bf said "pfft." Some friends of mine said get him and another rabbit so I could have two pairs or a group, lol.

:?

~Diana

I don't know about the bonding (except that Newt is so cute and adorable!), but I think you should get poor little Cuddly! Do they have any idea of his age? The forum needs more arctic hares :)

There is a possibility for bonding, although some rabbits will quite happily be friends through the bars where the territory lines are clear and can't tolerate each other if actually together.

Why not give bonding them a really good go and see what happens.

Cuddles could potentially bond with Ookpik though, if she would tolerate him, if she doesn't bond with Newt.

Poor guy sitting there for so long. My two foster may be here awhile but I still want them to find there forever home. It is not the same being a foster to having your own home.

If you have the time, space and resources, I'd love to see the little old man bun home with you. Regardless of the bonding situation (which as someone pointed out, could go any # of ways with a 3rd in the mix), he would be so happy to get some love from his very own person.

Kudos to you for picking a senior! 3 years is an insanely long time....

Maybe it isn't meant to be between your two buns.., who knows, one might bond instantly with the old fella!
(how old is old, btw?)

I'd get him because you have to remember not many people are going to adopt an old timer, and you wouldn't want such a cute little thing dyeing all alone, would you?

If it was me, I'd say go for it! :)

From the sounds of it, I think you could bond your two. Also since Cuddly is quite old, will probably be mellow enough to be able to wiggle his way into a trio. Never know how it'd work until you try!

If you have the room for possibly 3 single bunnies (though I'm sure you could have a pair somewhere in the mix) I'd go for it!

As long as you are prepared and willing to keep them separate if there is no bonding, I'd say go for it. That is so very sad that he has been homeless for so long. If he is an old bun, he deserves to live out his life in a loving home.

I agree with Patti if the bonding doesn't go well then keep them separated. I adopted Flash at 11 yrs old never intending to bond him with Sophie and they were friends thru the NIC panels. Flash got the love and care he deserved and lived with me for 5 more years and taking home a senior bunny was the best thing I ever did.

Ok, I'll adopt him.
The shelter is closed until Tuesday, but I wouldn't be able to bring him home until after the move, anyway.
The person I spoke to didn't know his age, just that he was "really old." But then again, I was at the Feed Store getting my two's nails trimmed and was asked how old Ookpik was, I said 2 and the lady commented how 2 was really old for a rabbit. So he might not really be old at all.
As for bonding, it's much more likely that Newt and Cuddly (whose name I would definitely change) would bond. Ookpik is a curmudgeon, while Newt is very easy going and gets along with anyone. Maybe Ookpik would just prefer to stay single. I'm seriously considering having the communicator that werecatrising suggested to Amy talk to them after we move.
As for having the time and resources, I do, I work a steady 40 hours a week with weekends off. Plus I won't be at the mercy of a landlord anymore. I did consider adopting Cuddly and his partner, Lovey, when they first went up for adoption. But I live in a dump with an absentee landlord who's always threatening to sell. It's extremely hard to find a place to rent when you have pets, not to mention expensive, so I decided against adopting them then.
There are rarely ever anything but dogs and cats at our humane society here. I only know of three rabbits (including Cuddly and Lovey) going through their doors and I started volunteering with them in high school. Plus this town isn't very resourceful for a savvy rabbit owner, we only have Wal*Mart and the ridiculously over-priced Feed Store and a mom and pop pet store. I ordertheir food and toysonline.
Well that's enough rambling. Thank you for all your input (even you guilt-trippers :p)
In five weeks time I should be the proud owner of 3 rabbits!

:biggrin2:

~Diana

Hooray! I can't wait to hear about him and see photos! If only someone could tell him that things are about to get so much better for him. Also, good luck with the move!

That's great news, Diana, especially for Cuddly :)

I've just adopted an older girl (6 years old) and she has become great friends with Shadow. He and Jester never got along (due mainly to Jester), and he is so happy to have a bunny friend. I am so pleased that I brought her home, and I think you will be happy with Cuddly, too :)

Jan

Thank you, everyone. I hope everything goes well.
Brandy, the shelter doesn't know I want to adopt him yet, they're closed Sunday and Monday. I'll have to phone them tomorrow after work.

Latest posts

Back