Should I add anything to my senior rabbits diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number1Sticky

Reaction score
I have a six and a half year old female spayed mini rex rabbit. Right now she is getting unlimited timothy hay, Oxbow adult essentials formula (I'm going to be switching her to the natural sciences soon as this bag is gone), her daily veggies (cilantro, escarole, red leaf lettuce and Boston lettuce) and an oxbow treat daily.

I was wondering if I should add anything to her diet like the Oxbow senior supplements or the joint supplements.

6.5 is old, but not too bad. When you switch your pellets remember to do so gradually if you can, rather than a sudden switch.
Does she have any health issues? Is she maintaining her weight well? Some older bunnies start losing weight so it can be helpful to increase their pellets. Others get less active and may need less pellets to keep them from getting too fat.
I've used some of the natural science supplements and while I'm not completely convinced they help, they certainly don't hurt and my bunnies like the taste of them.

What may be more important is increasing the frequency of her visits to the vet for well bunny exams. Bloodwork or radiographs in an older rabbit can help pick up on potential issues before they become real problems.

I recently started giving Oxbow's "Joint Supplement" and "Senior Support" to my 8 year old American Fuzzy Lop, Skyler. My vet checked the ingredients and said they were fine. Skyler loves them and he is more active, now. I'm very surprised to say that I do think they have helped him.

Latest posts

Back