"Short" tail pic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the tail. If you can call it that. LOL It's mainly just a few bones with hair on them. The judge that actually noticed it said that she didn't think it was hereditary, and said, "She'll make a really nice brood doe". Now I'm going to check Twila's current litter, and see if any of those 10 are missing tails.

542480_4158519967044_1405356771_3617140_1133718433_n.jpg

She might have just got a little over zealous while cleaning them after they were born. It happens with many first time moms. Sometimes its an ear or foot.

One of the babies in one of my litters had the same thing happen, her mama was a first timer and cleaned her too well. She turned out to be really awesome, I showed her and a lot of the judges just never noticed. She took 1st in an Open class once. I retired her to a brood doe, she produced nice babies for me until I quit breeding.

Yes, it must have been a fluke. I checked all 10 of Twila's litter (mother to that one, by the same sire). All 10 had tails. We also checked the other litters (all sired by same buck) to see if it was something on his side. All 21 babies had full tails.

As it stands now, we'll keep her as a replacement brood doe. If we have some nicer ones out of the 21 new ones, we'll sell her as a brood doe to a 4-H looking for a doe.

Latest posts

Back