Shopping list for new bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
So I've finally come to the conclusion that Cheeto needs a friend. I'm becoming more of a 'normal' college student, and feel guilty when he is all alone in my apartment. I've talked to the place where I got Cheeto, and we are deciding on a day to set up some bunny dates!
My question is what do I need to buy for the new bun? I cleaned out my utility closet for her to stay in at first, and plan on getting another baby gate to block the door, and to still allow both of them to see each other. I know the basics, water/food dish, litter box, hay rack, ect. But what will I need when they are bonded completely?
Do your bonded buns all use the same litterbox and food dishes? If so, how can you tell that each one is getting enough food/water?
I'm so excited!!

For a second rabbit, you need most of the stuff as a single. You need food and water bowls (or a bottle), litter box, hay rack, toys, and bedding. A carrier is a good idea as well, but since you intend on bonding, I would suggest a larger carrier so they both fit comfortably.
Once bonded, you should have 2 food dishes, but one water bowl is enough. You can have a bowl and a bottle if you like too. They should be ok with 1 litter box, but some need 2 if they pick separate areas to pee and poop. 1 hay rack is good, but you may want a larger one. For bedding, you should use whatever is needed for the cage.
As far as making sure they are both getting the food and water they need, you just need to watch them. You can't really have a separate bowl for each and make them only use one. You do need to know your rabbits eating habits and work with them.

Thanks for the response! I forgot about a carrier, I'll add that to the list. I'll also keep your other suggestions in mind when I'm shopping. Thanks!

Thank you! I will be sure to double up on everything. I actually had to buy a litter box because she won't be living with Cheeto at first (as I bond them). But, eventually, they will only need one.

Latest posts

Back