Shocking Morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
My doe Jersey kindled 12 babies about 2 weeksago. She has been a very good mom and hasn't lost any until today. Ijust went out to do my bunny chores and found 2 babies on her cagefloor. It was rather shocking as she had ate half on one and skinnedthe other one.Nothing can get in to bother her so i know it was not apredator. Has anybody had does do this? Why would she eat her babies.One was a broken fawn and the other was the prettiest solid fawn I haveever seen.

Oh, no! I am so sorry to hear that.

It is weird for a doe to do that with such old kits. I haven'texperienced that. It's possible they had snuck out of the nest box andsomething spooked the mom. She might have panicked and attempted to getthem back into the nest box. Unfortunately that usually means gruesomeinjuries, since they can't really pick them up safely. I'd keep an eyeon your doe. If she still seems really jumpy, I'd think about takingher litter away from her except for feeding times to prevent her frominjuring any more.

Hugs to you.

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that.

A breeder that I know was telling me about one of her does, who had alitter of several buns, and one of the buns died in the nest and thedoe went crazy trying to wake the baby up, she licked it and licked itto try and make it move, but all that happened was that she licked theskin off. Maybe it was something similar. Possibly, likeClarzoo said, they escaped the nest. Maybe they died and she wassomehow trying to make them wake up.

You'll never know though, unfortunately, I guess all you can do is tryand focus on the remaining kits and their mum and hope for the best.

Good luck.

I've seen it happen on occasion. It isvery disturbing. In most cases, there is either somethingwrong with the kits, or they left the nest and the doe became agitated.

Don't rule out preditors such as mink and rats - you'd be surprised how they can manage to get to the rabbits.

Pam

she ate half a rabbit? how distrubing.. why? is something bothering her.. so sorry

Binkie free little ones!:rainbow::rose::purplepansy::pink iris:

Well I've kept a close eye on her today and sheseems perfectly normal. I did notice that the babies are farther backin the box. I think tommorrow i will change her box and give her onewith a higher opening to help keep them in. I did find out thatsomebody was snooping around during the night, going through our truckand the neighbours vehicles. Maybe she heard something and it scaredher, unusual noises ect. She's a first time mom and I guess I'll neverreally know.I'll be keeping an eye on her from now on and hope itdoesn't become a habit. It would be a shame as she is a nice doe andgood mom otherwise.

Latest posts

Back