shock (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogCity

Reaction score
My dogs got into the rabbitry today...they were only in there five minutes. My eight month old flemish buck was the only one out of his cage. Sometimes he plays with the dogs. When I found him he was laying on his side breathing heavy. No puncture wounds, x ray said no broken bones or internal injury but he was pretty unresponsive to most stimulation. They put him on iv, cathed, and pain meds. Anyone have any experience with this. Do u think he will make it?

I'd guess that its up to his internal organs. The fluids are good. (I hope they're giving him something for his stomach as well). If he's fairly slim and in good shape, chances are good thanks to you getting him in for treatment. But that's a guess.

According to Frances Harcourt-Brown:

In rabbits, adrenaline can cause a marked and prolonged reduction in renal plasma flow and gastric ulcers are associated with stress. Stress can have a dramatic effect on digestive function. Stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system inhibits gut motility. Slow gastric emptying results in dehydration and impaction of the stomach contents. Hair, ingested during grooming, is incorporated in the impacted stomach contents that may be called 'trichobezoars' or 'hairballs'. Slow gut motility results in the accumulation of gas in the stomach and caecum and alters the secretion and absorption of water and electrolytes along the digestive tract. Reduced food intake reduces the supply of fluid and nutrients to the caecal microflora. A drop in blood glucose stimulates the mobilisation of free fatty acids and fatty infiltration of the liver. Oxidation of free fatty acids causes ketoacidosis. Rabbits are particularly susceptible to acidosis because some of the renal compensatory mechanisms and metabolic pathways that are present in other species are absent or restricted. Once ketoacidosis occurs, rabbits become increasingly depressed and anorexic. Fatal hepatic lipidosis develops rapidly and death typically occurs within a week of the onset of anorexia.

sas :pray:

Keep him warm, comfortable, and hydrated--that's about all you can do, I think. Best of luck, I hope he pulls out of it. Give him some quiet time but do go check on him occasionally to stimulate him to wake up. When I help with cats coming out of anesthesia, we rub down their spines (sometimes a bit forcefully), clean ears, tap noses to check for blink reflex, check temp with anal thermometer, etc. All of these things can help bring them back. Is his 3rd eyelid protruding? Did the vet think he may have had a heart attack that led to the shock, or just went into shock from the adrenaline itself?

The vet said he probably had a heart attack. He didn't make it. He lasted about three hours, but even with an IV it was just to much for him. It is strange, some dogs play with the rabbits just fine, they played with this rabbit just fine and even hung out in the same crate together. I guess the dogs just got to excited.

I'm so sorry. Some rabbit-dog combinations just don't work.

Latest posts

Back