Shipping prices got you down?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
I know that the economy and rising costs for fuel are causing shipping prices to skyrocket, but I've honestly not noticed a huge change until just now. And it's absolutely ridiculous!

I buy all of my rabbit supplies from Sweet Meadow Farms with the exception of the Yesterday's News I use for litter. And I've generally been very happy -- the service is exceptional, the prices fair, and the shipping reasonable. I've tried Oxbow and have been unimpressed by the consistency and quality of their products and American Pet Diner is just too expensive for me. Kaytee's Timothy Complete is okay, but definitely not my first choice. And, besides, that would still leave me without hay which I can get along with quality pellets from Sweet Meadow Farms. And since they are located on the east coast (in, I believe, Massachusetts) the shipping costs much less than it would if I were ordering from a west coast business. But, let me tell you, the prices for shipping are just ridiculous right now! And, unfortunately, the change is so drastic that if it continues to go up, they're going to price me out of their products. Yes, I know it's not their fault specifically, but it is what's happening and they will be the ones (along with me) that it affects.

I just ordered 20-pounds of timothy pellets, 20-pounds of timothy-alfalfa blend pellets, and25 bags of mixed hay (timothy, timothy with herbs, alfalfa, timothy-alfalfa blend, orchard grass, and meadow). Because of the increase in shipping I've been ordering for more than the month I used to get at a time. I'm now at about 2.5 months an order -- give or take. And while that helps cut the shipping prices down, my shipping today over 25% more than it was when I ordered the same quantity and products earlier this summer. To me, that's nuts!

Have any of you noticed the sharp increase in shipping costs? And, if so, how did you handle it? Is it just a case of needing to "suck it up" and dole out the extra cash, or is there another viable option that I'm just not seeing? I'm not willing to forego quality, but if there is another option that is going to cut down costs while still providing the best possible product, then maybe it's something I need to look into...

...and as much as I'd like to start my own farm on my postage stamp sized property, I don't think it's going to be a feasible option.

:pullhair:.

we get all of our stuff from local places. Jamie's food comes from pet smart and litter from pet. hay comes from walmart and everything else we get where ever we happen to be. we get the cats food from publix and the litter we get there or at walmart or target. so i haven't really noticed:cool:

I'm still amazed at the cost for shipping hay! I'm lucky I'm close to rural areas where hay is abundant - awesome quality hay.. I couldn'tbare to go back to those little silly bags or ordering it, it'd be insane!

I am so grateful for my feed store. Heck, now I don't even pay for hay because I just bag up the loose stuff once a week. So my only monthly expenses for the basics for 5 rabbits is around $40, probably $20 of that in vegetables. The rest is food pellets and wood pellets.

I would put your feelers out and see if you can find feed stores - a lot better quality hay, and worth a try to see about wood pellet bedding. Super cheap, and I like it a lot better than yesterdays news. Less money on the basics = more money on the fun stuff like toys and savings for any emergencies!

We get all of our stuff from Chow Hound. Besides they know nothing about bunnies they are really cheap. Besides their food I get from Wal-Mart. Skylar will only eat the pellets that I get from Wal-Mart and I have not found them any where else.

Due to shipping costs too i had to out source and get locally. I went from getting oxbow hay to getting it locally, my pellets i also found a place near me that i can get it at , which is oxbow, I changed from Yesterdays news and care fresh to equine pine. It is horrible what it cost to ship , i got hay a while ago and it cost three times the amount of what i paid for the hay just for shipping,lol

Here is my rant, lol....

I'm feeling it, too. The Bunny Store 2 1/2 hours away where I ordered 70lbs of Oxbow BBT before raised their prices. I would have to pay $50 for $50lbs...plus $45 in gas to get there. That is $95 for 50lbs. The only way it would be worth the trip would be if we had to go to the PHX area anyway...which is never the case.

My only option now is to order it directly from Oxbow. It is going to cost me $54 for 50lbs, which I would probably order 100lbs to cut down on the shipping for next time. The local pet store sells it....$10 for 5lbs. PetSmart also sells it...$13 for 5lbs. I wouldn't mind buying it for that much...IF I had less rabbits.

I got a huge bale of Orchard grass hay from the feed store a while ago, it is fresh, but it is SOOOOO dusty and little peices fall all over the bunny room and make the most discusting mess in there. I prefer Kleenmama's, but that would be like $50 for 45lbs...which would last me not very long.

As for the dog...$14 for 6lbs. The kitties...$14 for 6lbs.

Once Ryan joins the Navy, then I will be able to pay for all the pet food more easily.

undergunfire wrote:
My only option now is to order it directly from Oxbow. It is going to cost me $54 for 50lbs, which I would probably order 100lbs to cut down on the shipping for next time. The local pet store sells it....$10 for 5lbs. PetSmart also sells it...$13 for 5lbs. I wouldn't mind buying it for that much...IF I had less rabbits.
I want your prices!! We pay £50ish for 50lbs of Oxbow BBT, delivered... That's about $90 I think... :shock: We could get different food here locally for cheaper, but I prefer Oxbow and wont switch... Luckily that amount of pellets lasts longer than 3 months so it's not all that expensive in the long run.... :?

Latest posts

Back