Shiloh's Happy Herd

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting Rory snuggles :D We have a cuddle session at least once a day. I lay down on the couch, then put him next to me so his head is on my stomach. Then I cover us with a blankie so his head is sticking out. He always looks a little worried at first, but within a minute or so he relaxes with his chin on my stomach while I pet his head, ears and cheeks, and then he gives me bunny kisses :D Love it!

Bunsies had another bonding session tonight. We went for a 20 minute car ride, then sat in the play yard for 30 minutes. They cuddled together on the car ride, but as usual ignored each other in the play yard. They actually ignored each other more than they ever have before! Didn't sniff each other at all, but they sat a few inches apart and ate a couple of times. Their entire time in the yard is spent eating dandelions though so I don't know if them "eating together" is significant at ll.

Ned did something really funny when we were outside :D His favorite part of the dandelion is the flower, so he was standing as tall as he could, trying to grab one and teetering... He finally caught it, sat down and chewed it a couple of times, then tried to turn and run away with it in his mouth. It was of course still attached to the stem of the plant and the ground, so he got yanked back :D He was so confused! I don't think he'd survive as a wild bunny.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Their entire time in the yard is spent eating dandelions though so I don't know if them "eating together" is significant at all.
If I remember right, "ignoring each other" and eating isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means they are comfy enough with each other to eat in mixed company. I wish my two would at least ignore each other. They're like angry little magnets. :(

Cute story with the dandelion! I could just imagine him looking back at the offending stem, "Avast! Ye fiend!" Then getting into a full-blown bunny-flailing-paw attack (little front feets of fury)! :p

Hooray, Nedders! :p I wonder if his ear helped the submission? It does kind-of give him an endearing "I'm special, love me more!" quality. lol Go give that bun some salad snackies, pronto! :bow

Kelly, I was wondering that, too! Paul and I "talk" for the bunnies and Ned often "says" things like "I have one ear! Give me a banana!" :D Some people have been like "What is THAT?" when they see him (those are the not nice people), but most are like "awwww poor little bunny! Let me spoil him!" When he's sad or a little scared he gets these giant eyes ("bunny dog eyes," much more pathetic than puppy dog eyes) and you can't help but do anything to cheer him up.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
When he's sad or a little scared he gets these giant eyes ("bunny dog eyes," much more pathetic than puppy dog eyes) and you can't help but do anything to cheer him up.
Kind of like the eyes on Puss in Boots from Shrek? lol

Woohoo! I'm a grandma (or something)! Arthur and Poppet's first baby just hatched about an hour and a half-2 hours ago! He is so cute and is already being fed! Here is the link to the cockatiel thread if anyone would like to follow:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=58476&forum_id=5

And OF COURSE here is a picture of the little dinosaur bird with mama Poppet:

IMG_2813resized.jpg

YAY!

Shiloh what a great blog. You have the cutest bunnies including your "Angel Bunnies".

Weren't you studing to be a Paramedic? When did you change and howmany more years till you are finished? Do you think you guys will be staying in Alaska?

What I circled in your picture (below), is that the baby bird? It's so small and cute.

BabyBird.jpg

I look forward to reading your blog and seeing more pictures.

Susan:nod

Thanks for the replies, Crystal, Susan and Helen! Susan, yep, the ugly little thing is the baby :D Funny thing though is that as soon as I saw him, I thought he was the prettiest baby bird ever. To be honest, he looks like every other baby cockatiel, but he is MY baby cockatiel! Arthur and Poppet are doing a great job at being parents (they've both been with him in the nest box all afternoon), so hopefully he'll grow up just fine! He's past the most iffy part- incubating and hatching- and once he gets past the first week or so, it should be smooth sailing more or less. Hopefully his 3 siblings hatch fine too and Arthur and Poppet can handle all of them!

I'm trying to think of a name for the little guy. Don't know if he's a boy or a girl yet and I won't know for a few weeks. There is the option of sending his egg shell (which you can see at the top of the picture!) away to be DNA tested, but I'm sentimental and want to keep his shell. Since he hatched on the summer solstice, we want a name for him that is summery. The only ones I can think of are Solstice and Sunny.

Edit: Oh yeah and we're going to keep him and his siblings (unless we really do end up with 4 baby birds... may not keep all of them then!). I'm going to be SO picky about potential owners if we have to find homes for some of them. Good news is I put an ad on Craigslist and already got 5 replies...

Awww, those are really nice names. I think Solstice for a girl would be beautiful. Sunny for a boy perhaps? Or a girl. :)

Yep, it's YOUR baby bird, and that makes it the cutest! You're in your right. ;) You should totally keep the shell.

Snowy, all of your buns are sooo cute! I do have to say though that I have a soft spot for Rory. There is something about that boy.

AND HOORAY for baby 'Tiels! I LOVE birds. I can't wait until he starts to get more feathers!:heartbeat:

BooLette, I'm glad someone else has a thing for Rory too! :D I love all my bunnies a ton, but Rory has something extra special about him. Last night Paul and I watched a movie and Rory snuggled in my arms the entire time. It was so sweet. I love bunny cuddles! Ned and Phoebe Mae like to cuddle too, but Rory especially does when he's not feeling grumpy :D

In birdy news, we decided to name the chick Kieran, which is a simple spelling variation of Kiran that means "sunbeam." It's Hindi/Sanskrit. Little Kieran seems to be doing well today. I'm a nervous "grandma" and worry if he's okay of course. I held him once last night and once this afternoon, he's so sweet and fluffy! He's very top heavy too and has trouble keeping his balance, just like all baby birds. I actually got 2 videos of him tonight but Photobucket won't let me upload them :( They're really cute too, in one he's chirping and the other he's taking a nap. Of course the videos were taken like 10 seconds apart- baby birds don't stay awake for very long!

I will post the videos once we get Photobucket figured out.

Our second egglet is in the process of hatching! I'm so excited! I'm a lot less worried than I was last time around, because Kieran hatched just fine and I know Arthur and Poppet are good parents. I can't wait until the new baby is here! I posted videos and photos over in the cockatiel thread. Videos of Kieran AND of the new baby chirping in its egg :D

Bun buns are doing well. They all got mango today! They love fruit. Rory actually turned down a second piece, which is odd. I think he just may not love mango. Ned and Phoebe Mae and the rats love it though!

Congrats on being a grandma! I've never seen a cockatiel baby, how cute. I thought it was a chicken when I saw the picture! You can actually get the sex by using the eggshell?

Latest posts

Back