she's tearing up her home!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessmc03

Reaction score
My 9 mo old gabby is tearing up her home! when i first took her home, she was in a smaller cage that she did FINE in. we even found out she was potty trained! i built her a larger home and she is tearing it up! all night long she throws her litter box around, digs out all the bedding inside it, takes down her hay dispenser and throws it around. the first night she did it i though she was looking for more hay but when i left hay in the cage she ignored it.when i take her out in the evenings for freeroam she is an angel.what is she trying to tell me? (would pictures of the two different cages be helpful?) thanks everyone!!

I agree about her destructive behaviour being more related to age/hormones than the size of her cage. Normally a bigger cage will help with destructive behaviour as they have more space.

She's nine months old which is right in the heat of teenage years. Teenage years normally start around 6 months old and can last for more than a year. Spaying is the best way to help her through her teenage years.

Spaying is not an instant fix, but with out the raging hormones, she'll be much calmer. It can take a month or two after spaying for the hormones to completely leave her body.

You can try to provide her with more out of cage time to expend her pend up energy. Give her digging boxes full of hay/newspaper. Give her an old phone book in her cage. Rotate toys every couple of days to reduce boredom.

--Dawn

she is not spayed and that is a good point. any idea how long this puberty will last? i thought about spaying her and didn't simply because i couldn't decide if i should or not.any opinions?

Defnietly spay.

She will stay hormonal forever and most likely get aggresive. Also, she has an 80% percent chance of getting painful ovarian cancer by the time she is 5.

You will get a much better pet out of her if she is spayed :)

All female bunnies should be spayed. I am happy you seem to want to do the right thing. It will help with the behaviour althoughthey still go through their terrible teens. Lol.:biggrin2:

I'm going through the same thing with my lil one if it's any comfort to you :p

Latest posts

Back