She's more than a rabbit, she's my best friend - and she has Pasturella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Beautiful Black Bunny Benjamin is sick.
The vet says its Pasturella, and its not good. The problem is she has aUlcer going deep into her jaw bone, so the vet said they cant operateon it without extremely bad consequences, so all we're doing is givingher Anti-Biotics to treat it and Anti-Inflammatory for the pain.

She's not eating, she's lost so much weight,and she seems tohave lost all her happiness. The once full of life, bouncing bunny nowsits in her cage and doesn't even want to come out to run around in thebackyard. Its killing me. It kills me to see her like this.

But there has to be something i can do, i don't think the vetunderstands the fact that I'll do ANYTHING and pay ANYTHING for her toget better.
Please does anyone have any advice, I'm desperate. I don't want to losemy best friend. I'm sorry if i sound like a crazy chick, but i amdesperate.
Thanks,
Sarah.

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum!

Im so sorry to hear about your bunny. I have been dealing with a lot ofhealth problems with my rabbits and I know how stressful and painful itis.

My first question is are you sure your vet is rabbit savvy? How doesshe know its a Pasturella problem, is she sneezing and having cloudydischarge coming out of her nose? As far as I know, those are thesymptoms of a bad Pasturella infection.

On the mouth issue...did your vet do xrays on the area? or do a needlebiopsy to find out if its an abscess or something? My Max had anabscess in his tooth root/jaw area. It can really affect theirappetite. If its an abscess, there are options for treatment (surgicaland otherwise). Usually oral antibiotics are not very effective.

For now, you just need to be sure shes eating properly. Is she gettingpellets and hay down? Any greens? If you have trouble getting her toeat, theres lots of things you can do like creating a slurry out of herpellets ground up with water (and mix in some pumpkin or banana fortaste).

I'll be praying for your little one. I hope we can help you in some way.:pray:

Haley

I'm so sorry Benjamin is sick.:(

First, is it an ulcer or an abscess? It sounds more like anabscess. What antibiotics are being given? Are theyoral, or is there something being injected? Usually the bestway to deal with jaw abscess, especially if they can't be removedsurgically, is injected antibiotics such as Bicillin or antibioticbeads that are placed directly inside the infection.

There's lots of info here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

Make sure your vet is good with rabbits. If he's not familiarwith Bicillin treatment or beads, print off the info and give it tohim. Also offer to pay him for phone consultations withother, more experienced vets so he can get more information.

Also Offspring2099 went through a similar problem with one of herrabbits. The infection there also went to the jawbone. But with a good vet and proper treatment, she's makinga full recovery. Even the bone is healing now. I'drecommend pm'ing her and reading her threads.

:pray:

Hello Haley & Naturestee.
i just wanted to say thank you for taking such an interest to myRabbit, i really appreciate it. I also cant believe how much knowledgeyou both seem to hold about this certain topic. You have seem tomention more information about it,than my vet has alltogether.

My first rabbit Thumper was said to have had Pasturella and thats why ihad to have him put down (which is why i am so desperate to getBenjamin more help because it broke my heart last time with Thumper andi never want to lose another rabbit to this disease.)
But Thumper did have those classic symptoms such as the cloudy discharge coming from his nose and eyes.
But unlike Thumper Benjamin has only everhad the Abscess (ithink your right she does have Abscess, i get them and Ulcers mixed up)

As far i as i can remember the Vet mentioned nothing about any X-raysor needle Biopsy's.... he just told me surgury was not an option causeit would cause too much trouble with her teeth.

For the last few days she has not been eating nor pooing, she justseems to be dunking her face in her water bowl which is seems odd forher to do.

Though i did give her abit of Banana and she manage to eat a tiny bitbut then stopped because i think it hurt to much because normally shewould eat the WHOLE banana no problems!! And i managed to give her atleast two tiny bits of mushed up pellets tonight (which i was extremelyplease to see her eat) and i saw a tiny bit of droppings!!

I am going to the vet tomorrow (after my exam) to talk to the vet againand i'm hoping i can ask him about the suggestions you both have made!!
Is there anything else you think i should do, please i need all the advice i can get!!

Thanks SO MUCH for your great help already!! i really thank you for it!!
(sorry about this letter being so long)

Many Thanks,
Sarah & Benjamin!
xoxox

Poor thing it must really hurt.:( Areyou syringe feeding him? You can grind up his pellets, mixthem with water, and use a baby medicine syringe to put it in hismouth. You can even add a little bit of mashed banana, cannedpumpkin, or finely shredded fresh herbs to make it taste moreyummy. It's really important to keep the little guy eating.

Oh and did the vet at least drain the abscess? When surgeryisn't done they can still usually lance it and drain/squeeze all thepus out. It does help and they shouldn't need anesthesia forit. Or at least my vet doesn't use anesthesia for it.

I don't know where you're located but maybe we could help you find abetter vet? Try our Rabbit Savvy Vet listings.Maybe there's someone within driving distance of you. If thatfails and try calling the nearest House Rabbit Society group or otherrabbit rescue and see if they can recommend any vets.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9

Thanks for the food tips, i'll definatly try them. :)

To be honest i dont think they did drain the abscess, i remember theysaid they were going to but they couldn't for some reason.... i'm sorryi seem very unsure about what the vet said, its just i got all upsetwhen he said it wasn't good news (i'm very emotional like that lol) andi had so many thoughts racing through my head i didnt listen much, butmy mum was with me... so i was hoping that she was listening!

Do you have any advice on what i should ask my vet tomorrow? :?

See i live in Australia, and since this is my second rabbit, i'vealways gone to the same vets for all my pets thinking that iwouldnt need a certain kind of vet. I'll look around though for sure!!

If all goes to plan, i've added a picture of Benjamin in her wintercoat.... I dont actually make her wear it, i just thought she lookedADORABLE in it!! Hopefully it works so you can see her!!

Thanks Again!!
Sarah & Benji !!!
xoxox

Oh she is just adorable!

Are there any other vets in your area that you could call around and see if someone is more experienced in rabbits?

So is it an abscess and not an ulcer? If so, like Naturestee said,there are options for treatment, even if surgery is not possible. Yourvet might just be unaware of treatment such as bicillin injections orantibiotic impregnated beads that are implanted along the jaw bone.

Let me find you the links. You do want to be sure your vet knows enoughabout rabbits though. Rabbits are so different from cats and dogs. Yourvet will need to be sure to use rabbit-safe medications and such.

What a cutie!

Yes, rabbits generally do need more special vets. Most vetsonly learn about cats and dogs, and rabbits have differentsensitivities and need different treatments.

Here's the websites for two Australian rabbit rescues. Theymight know of a good rabbit vet in your area if there's not one listedin the Rabbit Savvy Vets section.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rabbit/pam.htm
http://companionrabbit.cjb.net/

Oh man, honestly youboth are LEGENDS!! :D
I cant thank you enough for the help and great advice you have givenme, because seriously before i found this site, i had honestly given uphope of my baby surviving!!!
Without you both I'd be lost!! You are botha blessing!!

I'll definitely ask the vet about the Bicillin and the antibiotic beadstomorrow, i hope he knows what they are because i have no clue!! Wouldthey be available here in Aussie!!?

Sorry i don't mean to hassle you both with so many questions it's justi haven't come across two veryknowledgeable,extremerabbit loversEVERbefore so this is definitely a first for me!!:)I love it!! i just wish the circumstances underwhich i met yous were different!

And thank you for the links to the Australian Rabbit rescues!! I'll look them up too!!

Well i must go to bed now, becausei have an English examtomorrow so i suppose i should get some sleep.... though honestly whileBenjamin is still sick, i couldn't care less about any stupid exams!!They mean nothing to me compared to Benjamin!! lol

Thank you so much again!! and I'll write to yous tomorrowwhen i get back from the vets to tell you what he said!!

Much love,
Sarah & Benji!!
xoxox

Hi Sarah, I'm from Australia too.

Which state do you live in? If you are from Victoria, Iknow of a really experienced bunny vet here.

There is a great Australian based rabbit information site called Boing, which has a list of recommended bunny vets in Australia:

http://www.boingonline.com/rabbit_vets.html

I hope that helps!

Aww..youre welcome hun :)

A lot of what I have learned has been through Naturestee, Pipp, andother mods/members giving me advice ;). My Max just had an abscesstooth that had to be removed and then my Basil had an abscess in hischeeck 1 month later, so Im becoming quite knowledgable with these darnthings!

I really hope you were able to speak to your vet today. Or find arabbit-savvy vet. I know how difficult it can be to deal with theseissues when youre trying to focus on school. Ive been there.

Please keep us posted and I'll be praying for little Benjamin :pray:

Hey Guys,
I want to personally thank you all for your help over the last weeks, i couldnt thank you all enough.
And i want to opoligise for not writing for a while but i was too upset.

It saddens me to have to tell you this but the forever loveable Benjamin died on Monday night.
It happened all so suddenly, and i think i'm still in denial about it all, you know what i mean?
I dont know what happened, i came home from my exam on monday and sheseemed ok, so i feed her a bit and gave her the medicine and then i hadto go to work and by the time i got back from work her health haddeclined greatly and i knew she needed help desperatly so i tried for abit to get hold of the vets after-hours for what seemed like forever,and then we finally did and as we were preparing to leave, my friendturned to me and said i dont think shes breathing anymoreandi looked down into my arms where she was laying..... and she wasntbreathing.

I'm sorry.... i feel like i waisted ur time trying help me... but like i said i'm forever thankful.

Thanks,
Sarah and Benji (in spirit).
xoxoxox

Aww noo! i'm really ever so sorry to hear this very sad news:(

And Sarah..don't ever feel like you have wasted anyone's time,we have time for everyone on here:)

you are in my thoughts

again i'm sorry:(

Goodbye Benji girl :tears2:

cheryl:pinkpansy:

I'm so sorry for you. You know I read your postthe other night and it struck me how very sick your little Benjaminwas. I know how much you will reallymiss him and its hard tolose another one buthe was abunny that was reallyreally loved and cared for and so many aren't. Now he's in a betterplace where he isn't in pain anymore. :bigtears::angelandbunny:

Oh Im so upset to hear this. Im so sorry for your loss. :bigtears:

Little Benjamin was so very loved. You were such a great bunny mom and did everything you could for her.

I'll be keepingyou bothin my prayers. :pray:

Rest in Peace little Benjamin:rip::bunnyangel: :rainbow:

cheryl13 wrote:
And Sarah..don't ever feel like you have wasted anyone'stime,we have time for everyone on here:)
:yeahthat

I'm so sorry you lost Benjamin. I think you did everythingyou could have to help her. I hope you stick aroundthough. You might find some comfort here, and someencouragement when you decide you're ready for another bun.

Binky free, Benjamin.

:pink iris:

I am so very sorry for your lose. Our prayersand thought are with you. We lost one of our rabbits topasterilla 3 years ago and its very difficult. Just remember you didall you could to make him healthy. Its a very tough illness tobeat. I know my chester and all the other bunniesin Rainbow Bridges are welcomming him with open hearts.

Take Care

Chris

Latest posts

Back