shes litter trained but pees and poops outside!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethetailyall

Reaction score
A few days ago i got a rescue rabbit from alady! she is 90% litter traind in the cage..some poo mistakes but wheni let her out she runs around and poops and in one corner peees...shedous it so fast to...:XHow can i stop this!

How old is she and (million dollar question) is she spayed?

I leave her cage open so she can go in and outto the litter..i just dont know why she wouldent go there then just peeor pooo enywhere....they told me she is prob over a year......No she isnot spayed:)

Spaying will normally help with litter habitsand other hormonal behaviors, in addition to keeping your rabbit(s)safe from uterine cancer and other serious illnesses related to thereproductive system.

Spay/neuter is standard procedure at rabbit rescues.

ec wrote:
Spaying will normally help with litter habits and otherhormonal behaviors, in addition to keeping your rabbit(s) safe fromuterine cancer and other serious illnesses related to the reproductivesystem.
:yeahthat

Spaying your rabbit is always the absolute best thing forher.It will cut down the risk of cancers significantly.Without being spayed, the risk of her getting uterine, reproductive, ormammary cancer is almost a 100% chance.

Like EC said, having her spayed will also help, or even eliminate, the unwanted bathroom habits as well.

Why don't you have your rabbits spayed or neutered? If it's because ofthe cost, there are organizations that will discount the cost of spaysor neuters. Some humane societies also do it for discounted prices. SoI would definitely look into it.

You've talked about wanting to be involved inrescue - it would, I believe, be very helpful for you to actually visita rabbit rescue (and maybe volunteer for them) to learn how thingswork.

Spaying can literally save lives, as most all unspayed bunnies developserious reproductive system problems - uterine cancer in particular.

There are *so* many bunnies being dumped every day, too - I doubt you'dreally want to contribute to the overpopulation problem, would you?

Hey lovethetailyall, how is your rabbit with thesickness and headtilt? You never updated us in the infirmary :). I hopethe bunny is feeling better!

Are you planning to breed from the rescue? If not then I highly reccomend you get her spayed.

OK, please don't take this the wrong way, butI'm completely confused as to what you are doing - you've got that longrescue thread, and then the one about your sick bunn (I hope he/she isdoing much better) - and in this thread you talk about taking in a"rescue" but then say you don't intend to have her spayed.

I really do hope you'll rethink this - both not spaying the rescue bunand (maybe?) breeding from her. A lot of the things involved in rescue,pet-keeping - and responsible breeding - have very differentgoals than what you've been talking about.

One of those things, to be honest, is getting an ill bunny to the vet -and keeping him/her quarantined from other bunnies until the vet saysit's OK for the sick one to be with the others again.

I hope you've found a good rabbit-savvy vet and are working on the health issues you've raised in other threads, also this one.

im not starting a resuce i wanted to but i foundit clear that i was too young and it would be to much of aresponsibllity.When i refure to this NEW rabbit i said rescue as in irescued her beuce the lady needed a experienced rabbit person to haveher because of her aggreshion..she is going to be my pet but nor a realrescue rabbit..im not starting a rescue:D

I'd get her spayed:), I wishI couldget my girls spayed, but we can't find a good vet here:(, they all justdeal with farm animals, we are still looking. It's best for them, I amdetermined to find a good vet before Pebble and Ebony are old enough tobe very high risk, they are still young but i worry about it.

all my other rabbits are not even close to ayear old and when everyone got cavy lice we had to go to a vet thstjust treated dogs and cats cuz there are no rabbit savvy vets hear..hehad to call some place far away to find out how to treat it!

I think the sooner you're able to locate a good, rabbit-savvy vet, the better - for all of your bunnies.

Edit: Again, I don't mean to sound mean or harsh, but you'reresponsible for your bunnies' health and well-being. They're dependenton you in the same way that babies and young childern are dependent ontheir moms and dads.

I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your bunny, and hope thatyou'll take time now to make sure you've got help lined up beforesomething else goes wrong. (Again, not to be negative, but bunnies doget ill and need medical treatment, just like humans.)

lovethetailyall wrote:
When i refure to this NEW rabbit i said rescue as in irescued her beuce the lady needed a experienced rabbit person to haveher because of her aggreshion
I'm sorry in advance if I sound rude, and by all means, I'm notbadgering you, but I really do not believe you are an experiencedrabbit owner. I feel there is MUCH more you need to know in order toproperly care for your rabbits. An example is your one who just passedaway. Instead of taking advice from those who truly know what they aretalking about, you took the advice from a neighbor who had no clue.Vitamin C wasn't needed, a vet is what was needed. Her she gotten to avet and had gotten proper medical attention, she would still be alive.Head tilt was nothing to fool around with.

Now, this time, people are trying to tell you that THIS rabbit willsurely die one day from cancer if she is not spayed. Cancers are sohigh risk in female rabbits, it's almost a given that they will getthem eventually. Now this means that when this happens, if you onceagain refuse to take HER to a vet, then she will die a slow and painfuldeath. It can be avoided if you just get her spayed.

I also don't think you should be breeding ANY rabbits by any means. Ionly support breedings if you are someone like Peg (TinysMom) orPamnock or other very experienced breeders. They are extremelyexperienced in breeding and know what they are doing. And they breedfor show, and know how to screen portential homes. You breeding yourrabbits will only add to the overpopulation of rabbits in this country.There are more rabbits than there are good homes -- just go to anyshelter to see for yourself. I work for a rescue, and I see the amountof rabbits coming through there. We get way more than we can adopt her.We justgot 4 more today, and 2 yesterday! 6 rabbits in 2days, but only 2 rabbits have pending adoptions.

Per your original question, I believe everyone here has given you thecorrect and most valuable answer: get her spayed. Other than that,there's not much else for us to say.

I personally are not breeding my nabbor who hasbeen breeding for prob 20 yeas or more has offered to help me...it athing betweeen me and him.I have just never belived in spaying ornutering.There are alot of people i know who do not spay or nuter thererabbits,rats and animals:D

Everyone here has been trying to help you -please take some time to read over the replies carefully and do somereading in the Rabbit Health section of this board.

Personally, I'm feeling frustrated, since you don't seem to want thehelp that is being offered. If the issue is money, there are ways ofdealing with that, too - inluding insurance for your pets.

Animals are a big responsibility. Shelters screen peoplecarefully to make sure that they're able - and willing - to provideadequate care for animals they're trying to adopt. Please understandthat *you* are responsible for your animals' well-being and need tostep up to the plate on that.

Latest posts

Back