sherwood forest rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Savage

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of or tried the sherwood forest rabbit food? I read things saying it is awesome, the best that could be found basically. I want to order it butI amwondering if any of you tried it and know if the company is legitimate. The website is: http://store.naturalrabbitfood.com/is you are interested. It is better for rabbits than any food I have found, (as far as I know). I think it may be the best around. If not, do you know of some better pellets?

We if have tried it let me know your results and how the shipping was on the pellets. I would also like to know if there is anything you think is wrong with the product. Thanks everbody! :biggrin:

I've never heard of this brand of pellets before, so I really don't know if it's good or bad for your bunny.

This is a good guideline regarding trying to figure out if a pellet is good.

A good quality rabbit pellet should have at least 22% crude fiber, no more than approximately 14% protein, about 1% fat and about 1.0% calcium. Check the label on the rabbit pellets before you buy. Most commercial pellets are alfalfa-based, which means they're higher in calories and lower in fiber than timothy-based pellets.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

The higher the protein percentage the better.

Hope this helps.

K:)

We LOVE Sherwood!! We've been buying it for our rabbits for months now and they love it, too. Their customer service is great and shipping is pretty fast, too. You can get a free 2lb sample on their site if you want to try it first.

When we first got Junie, we bought some of the food she'd been eating at her farm so we could gradually change her over to the Sherwood food. After about two days, we could see her digging through her bowl and just picking out the Sherwood pellets.

Here's the nutrition info from the Maintenance and Show food:

-14% crude protein
-5% crude fat
-22-27% crude fiber
-0.7-1.2% calcium
-0.4% phosphorus
-0.25-0.75% salt

Yes I have. Its a really nice food. You can try the free sample. Its super green and smells great.

There is also another one called Pfaus. An angora breeder I know feeds her rabbits this and gave me a nice size sample. Really great looking food and smells great. I guess you couldn't go wrong with either one.

http://www.greatnortherncageco.com/feed/pfaus-pellets-5lbs.html

Yay! Questions to both of you, what are the results you have seen/noticed in your rabbit after they have eating this for awhile (I have heard about the fur, energy and attitude getting better)?

It's kinda hard to say about fur/attitude/energy, etc. We started Nibbles on their food fairly soon after we had him home. He's always had very soft, silky fur and what I would consider a "normal" level of energy. Junie also has a nice coat--glossy and soft. She's FULL of energy, but she's also a Netherland dwarf and I know smaller breeds are (sometimes) more energetic in the first place.

I do love how green and fresh the pellets smell (I kinda want to try some myself...). Their poops are even a bit green! If you go to their main site (Natural Rabbit Food) they have a ton of info/graphs on the amount of nutrients and what type of ingredients they use. Very informative.

Michelle my rabbits loved both foods. I'll try looking for the nutrition aspects of Pfaus, but sherwood is really good as they explain everything about their food and back it up. I really need to switch, but I am stuck between what I want to feed. I currently feed kaytee, its alfafa based and Jack likes it, but its so dull in color in makes me think if he's getting enough from it (he's pretty darn healthy however) and the breeder I got my holland from feeds purina fibre 3, I believe its called. So I am in the same boat as you, in regards to finding a better food.

mdith4him wrote:
It's kinda hard to say about fur/attitude/energy, etc. We started Nibbles on their food fairly soon after we had him home. He's always had very soft, silky fur and what I would consider a "normal" level of energy. Junie also has a nice coat--glossy and soft. She's FULL of energy, but she's also a Netherland dwarf and I know smaller breeds are (sometimes) more energetic in the first place.

I do love how green and fresh the pellets smell (I kinda want to try some myself...). Their poops are even a bit green! If you go to their main site (Natural Rabbit Food) they have a ton of info/graphs on the amount of nutrients and what type of ingredients they use. Very informative.
I have to say their foods for some reason smell great lol

This was typed to me by the guy who sales it (which goes to show how great they are at helping us find good feed):

> Most rabbit food brands are over 60 years behind on their research and
> there is a lot of miss-information floating around on the internet. If
> you want your rabbit to gain weight quickly you can feed the baby rabbit
> food but by the time rabbits are "teenagers" they will tend to gain too
> much fat rather than healthy weight. For this reason I designed the
> Maintenance & Show (M/S) rabbit food for rabbits 12 weeks and older. We
> even have rabbits that were 11 years of age and "under weight" that
> regained "healthy weight" as well as rabbits that were too fat that became
> "rock solid" ... both of them were fed our M/S "free-choice." If you are
> interested I can share more details about the science behind it.
>
> Our rabbit food is the freshest on the planet because we grind our
> ingredients just prior to pelleting. Most mills store large bins of
> pre-ground ingredients that they measure out from and mix new batches
> prior to pelleting. Also don't use inorganic mineral salts that speed the
> oxidation of vitamins (research published in 2011). Rather we use organic
> chelated minerals that preserve the freshness of the feed. We also make
> small batches of feed every week so it is always very fresh. You can see
> and smell the difference and so can your rabbits! Generally we suggest
> that you don't store feed for more than 3 months but know that it lasts
> much longer. Mold only occurs if your rabbit food gets wet so it is best
> to store your feed in a cool dark and dry location.
>
> Fines are broken pellets... or dust. Our pellet quality is so high that
> we practically have no fines... everybody comments on it and loves it!
> The reason why we don't have fines is because we spend extra money on our
> pelleting process to make sure we have a quality hard pellet.
>
> I hope this answers your questions... feel free to ask more if you have
> any.

Also, he typed:
People who mix our rabbit food with other brands to "gradually switch"
their rabbits always find that their rabbits pick out and eat our food but
leave the other brand behind. You can just switch your rabbits cold
turkey to Sherwood Forest rabbit food. If you were to switch from our
feed to another rabbit food you would need to wean them because going from
healthy food to "junk food" may cause diarrhea.

Thanks Michelle for sharing. Never heard of these pellets before. Interesting information. IMHO, it's good to know more than one brand of pellets.

Thanks again.

K:)

The ingredients seem to be a lot better for the rabbits then what I had been given my rabbit. They seem to have the best pellets around. If anyone knows of a healthier pellet, please let us know.

Here are the ingredients in the rabbit food for 12 weeks old and older:

premium sun-cured alfalfa, premium timothy hay, oil seed blend, monodicalcium phosphate, salt, choline chloride, essential amino acids,
chelated minerals, b- vitamins and cobalt carbonate.

The difference on a chart can be seen here (this will open your eyes). Go here and see the smaller pictures under the picture of the pellet box. The big image will change if you put your mouse on one of the pictures. Then put your mouse on the big picture you have chosento make it zoom in to see it even better.: http://store.naturalrabbitfood.com/maintenance-and-show-rabbit-food-19-lb-usps-priority-bulk/
Also, go ahead and read the testimonies. I have heard only good things about this food! I have recently emailed him to ask why some of the ingredients are in the pellets and once he emails me the answers I will share that as well.

The tape does stick to the bag, but the bags I've gotten always have a little zip tie on them, so even if the top of the bag rips a bit, nothing spills out. I've never gotten a coupon, though!

Really meredith? I got a coupon with my sample. :( Maybe I can pass it on, if I find it I'll forward it you. I think its a code anyhow. Hopefully I have it some where.

Back