Sherbotsky is home from her spay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaliQ

Reaction score
I took Sherbotsky to the vet this morning for her appointment and she was definitely scared as soon as we got out to the car. She hasn't been anywhere outside the house since we brought her home and took her to hubby's work to meet everyone, so it was a new experience! I felt like the worst bunmom ever when I left her there and she was so nervous, but she (and I!) made it through the day.

I brought her home about an hour ago and she is all puffed up in the corner of her cage. She ate a piece of lettuce and a little bit of hay but has mostly stayed in her corner. She did start licking her incision and startled when I touched her side to stop her. I don't think she's a big fan of me at the moment. :(

aww :( don't worry, she'll forgive you quickly! I hated dropping mine off at the vet and was a ball of nerves ALL day until I got them back.

Thanks, Imbrium! I was so nervous all day til I got the call and it was better to have her home, but I'm still nervous because she's hanging out in the same corner all night. Can't wait til she's back to her old self!

Random...how long will it take the fur to grow back?

Did they give you metacam to give her for the pain? It can make a big difference in getting them eating and feeling better again. It does take up to 24 hours sometimes, for the anesthesia to wear off and stop making them feel a little sick. just keep helping encourage her to eat and drink.

I was told 24-36h on the anesthesia (for it to stop causing nausea)... was also told "let them eat whatever they want, just for today" when they didn't want to eat and were fighting me about critical care.

the fur will be mostly back within a month or so.

Aww glad she is home and I remember the day Agnes was spayed very well. I was SO nervous!
If they did give you some metacam definitely give her that, I gave Agnes that for 3-4 days. It helped with her starting to eat again.

They did give me Meloxicam (technical name for Metacam?) to give her starting this morning. We gave her some and she ate it right up which is good cuz I thought she would not take it. But right after she went back to the corner of her cage and wouldn't eat the pellets I tried to hand feed her. She did drink some water and ate some hay last night, as well as part of a treat. Every time we bug her she puffs up into what we call "bunnyloaf" and sits in her corner, so we're trying to leave her alone and let her adjust on her own.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! I <3 RO!

That's actually really good that she's eating some hay, and drinking. Pellets are usually the last thing they will start eating again as they begin to feel better. Yeah, you don't want to be picking her up or messing with her too much. Spaying is a pretty major surgery. Hopefully the pain meds will kick in and she'll start feeling better soon. As long as she has hay and water, and she's eating and drinkng some of it, then she should be fine.

Glad that she is doing ok. :) She will get back to normal within a week. After mine got spayed they were like that for a few days, but within a week they were going stir crazy wanting to go run around. You need to keep her in her cage with minmal activity for at least a week. If she has shelves in her cage I would take them out or block it off so that she can not get up there. Hope all goes well :) Keep us posted.

My wonderful hubby took the shelf down right after we left for the vet. For the last couple days she's been back to her normal self and even binkied a few times! She's eating, drinking and pooping like normal again and we are so happy! Thanks everyone for your advice and support!

Latest posts

Back