Shedding...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rescuemom

Reaction score
I swore I'd never get a Siberian Husky because I hate the fur. It gets EVERYWHERE, on EVERYTHING, CLINGS, and it's very light so it FLOATS all over the house before finally settling.

Well, I got a husky in the form of a little Holland Lop. His fur is EXACTLY like a husky and he's ALWAYS shedding fur. ALWAYS.

He is fed Oxbow Essentials, often given a dish of greens on the side, and unlimited Timothy Hay. He even gets the rare treat.

I know in dogs it can be due in part to season and/or diet. Is it something I'm doing or is it just HIM?

If so, any types of combs or brushes that can be recommended? I'm assuming a de-shedder would be best as his fur is SO insanely short... but not too sure at this point. I go to open his cage and fur flies, I tell ya... I can deal with hay all over my house, but the fur can be nasty on my asthma when I'm cleaning his cage.

I've heard that house rabbits can shed year round, although about every 3 months or so they have a big shed. I just ordered the Furminator for my lionhead, and it's made a HUGE difference. My husband has asthma and there's much less floating fuzz. I highly recommend it! (Just make sure it's the one for small animals)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A9UBUQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Furminator can iritate the skin so dont use it a lot. I use a slicker then pick out tufts

I have the hair buster (ordered from binky bunny.) It works PRETTY well. I'm not 100% happy with it, but I also got the dog one because it was on sale. I'd recommend getting the cat one instead.

It's nice - it picks out the big chunks and slides the rest to his bum so you can just pick it off with your hands.

Good luck! I know, the shedding drives me mad sometimes.

I use these on my rabbits. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BUUWN/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. Works WONDERS on getting rid of the dead hair. I have a friend that cuts them in chuncks so that it is easier to use. 1 will last you a very long time. I have not had to replace mine in 4 or 5 years of using it.

Also this is the BEST slicker brush that I have ever found. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YIWUXI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. These 2 things are the things that I go for when groumping a rabbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Furminator too. I dont brush Bugsy at all, he's a mini rex and I dont think he needs it.

Oreo gets brushed sometimes, when she's up for it. If not i get a latex glove and pet her GENTLY. it takes off all the fuzzies.

I just got a slicker brush for my bun and it seems a little harsh. My cats love it but the teeth are SHARP, is that really okay for a rabbits skin?

I also have a small furminator and it doesn't seems to work that well, but I don't want to press that hard when I brush her because I don't want to hurt her.

I got a slicker brush from petsmart (they only had 2 options and the one I had to return cuz it didn't do anything). I ended up drawing blood on MYSELF the 2nd time I used it. I was trying to get the hair out and stabbed myself... that was the day I ordered a different one from binky bunny. :p

I think if you were hurting them you'd know. Probably with a thump or they'd run away. Buster barely let me use the slicker brush on him, and I sure can't blame him.

Ugh! I have three rabbits in my room and EVERYTHING is literally COATED with a layer of hair. Working on vacuuming it this week but SERIOUSLY. It's ridiculous!

I wish they'd stop shedding :/ I wonder if there's a food that will lessen the shedding or something.. they have a good diet!

The furminator only half works and only on two of my rabbits. The other rabbit's fur is weird and doesn't take.

Latest posts

Back