Shedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to the Animal Control today and looked at a rabbit

51107.jpg

LoudounCounty Animal Shelter Other Adoptions

He's quite large, probably as big as Mr. Wiggles. I held him for a bitand there was litterally a cloud of hair flying off of him, and it wasreally bothering my nose, even an hour afterI left, I couldstill feel it.Since my only experience has been with Mr.Wiggles, I wondered if this was normal? Could it just be the stressfrom being in a shelter and probably lack of grooming? Also they don'tknow the sex or the age. Is there anyway for me to tell? He was finebeing held once you had hold of him good and snug so he felt secure,but I picked him up off the floor a couple times to make sure I coulddo it and he kicked back as you were doing it, of course the cage he isin was really difficult to get him out of and the girl praticallypulled him out of the cage, so I'm sure that type of handlinghasput him on edge.

Any thoughts?

Megan

Hmmm well it is the season for shedding... Girleft a big pluff of bunny fur on the vet's table yesterday and Guin isleaving white fur EVERYWHERE.

As for sexing... have someone cradle the bun on his or her back,keeping the bun tucked close so he doesnt lash out, then gently partthe fur on his privates. If you dont see any sacks on eitherside of his anus, then try pushing gently at the top of the genitalarea. If it is a male bunny, his penis should exposeitself. But be gentle... this is indignant for the poor bunny!

I forgot to mention that he had a few small bumpson the outside of his ears... is that something to be concerned about?I also looked at his teeth and they looked like happy little rabbitteeth :D

Megan

Small bumps as in scabby bumps, or under the skin bumps?

From my experience, rabbits, just like humans get swollen lymphnodes. If the bump is hard and causes the rabbit pain thenthat could be a problem. Could be flea or mite bites on theears, so you just gotta look at that =) and hows the fur on the ears,bald patches usually signal mites =)

the bumps were small, maybea little bitsmaller thanapencil eraser, they had little scabsright in the center, and they were hard and raised off the top side ofthe ear. I noticed a couple toward the end of the ear and a couple uphigher on the ear.

Sounds like bites to me. Well if youtake the little guy home, you can try a cotton ball in a very littlebit of listerine, just dont drop any down the ear canal! Itshould kill any mites, and disinfect it.

Hmm... I know Advantage for kittens is the flea choice... but whatabout flea powders and collars (not that I would put one ON the bunny)are any of these bunnysafe?

Use a flea comb to look for any black residue (flea poop and bunnyblood) if the shelter caught any animals roaming outside, could befleas.

otS3go wrote:
Barney is gifting us with brown black and white fur spreadaccress wherever he has been... its starting to get annoying now:p

I have been eating white fur for the pastweek

Maybe its Guins way of saying "Get off yer butt and groom me more!"

I cant wait until winter coats are fully in.Herears go grey during shedding season... and i much preferthe winter/summer 'blue' coloring.

Latest posts

Back