Shedding REALLY BAD!!! help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dozed

Reaction score
I have no idea what could be causing this, but Bayle has been shedding EXTREMELY bad the past few days, there is hair EVERYWHERE... its rediculous, and i'm very worried about him/her. Any ideas what could cause this?

~*~Concerned~*~

~Mandy

Just went through a severe molt with Pipp, too. A lot of people have complained, it must be the season. It's the undercoat coming out we presume?

Just wet your hands and keep rubbing as much hair off of him as you can, and try and keep him brushed, if he likes being brushed. (Pipp hates it).

I just took my computer in for repairs, and there was enough hair inside the case to make twomore bunnies!

(The repair guys took a picture and put it up on their wall). :embarrassed:

sas :)and pipp :bunny24 (who should be bald!)

Hi Mandy.

How old is your bunnie? They will go through a junior molt that can be quite heavy. Different things can affect the way bunnies shed/molt....diet, weight, temperature etc.

During heavy shedding/molting, I always make sure that the bun has lots of unlimited timothy hay and they also get some extra papaya.

Here's some info from the HRS:

"Rabbits shed every three months. Every alternate time they'll have a light shedding that may not be very noticeable. Next they'll have a heavy molt that you will not be able to escape.

Rabbits will shed in different ways. Some will take a couple of weeks or more to lose their old coat of hair. Other rabbits will be ready to get rid of their old coats all in one day and these are the rabbits who cannot be neglected once they start shedding.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]You can often remove a large portion of the hair by just pulling it out with your hand. Another good way to remove hair without is to lightly dampen your hands and then rub the rabbit. Or use a spray bottle to spritz the rabbit with a fine mist of water, then massage the fur coat with your hands. Loose hair comes out, sticks to damp hand, and you can roll it off![/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]However you remove it, remove it as soon as possible or your rabbit will do it during grooming. Bald spots are quite common. They should start to grow back within a week or two.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Rabbits need to be brushed at least weekly. In addition to removing any loose hair, this weekly brushing session helps prepare them for the multiple daily brushing that they must undergo when their heavy shedding begins.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Rabbits are fastidious groomers. They insist on being clean and tidy and will lick themselves like cats. And like cats, they can get hairballs if they ingest too much hair. Unlike cats however, rabbits cannot vomit. If hairballs are allowed to form, they can become gigantic masses of tangled hair and food and will block the stomach exit, causing the rabbit to starve to death while his stomach appears to be very fat.[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Here in San Diego it's been our experience that feeding hay and grassesdrastically reduces instances of hair balls, even in long-haired breeds. The hay and grasses keep the rabbit's gastrointestinal tract so motile that hair is moved rapidly through, limiting the chances it will ball up."[/font]

Thank yo sooo much! I was hoping it was normal, but its so much hair, it really had me concerned. I will definately keep an eye on him.

Thanks again!

Back