Shedding like mad!

• Thread starter Sophie's Humble Servant
  • Start date
Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sophie's Humble Servant

How much shedding is normal? I brush every day sometimes twice a day and Sophie's fur won't stop coming out, especially on her back. Is this normal for indoor rabbit in summer? The temps haven't been that hot! I'm brushing out about a small handful each day and it seems like the more I brush the more I'm egging it on. The brush I have is a bristles brush and its really tugging on her fur when I brush now because so much wants to come out. I'm afraid of plucking too much out but how will I know?

Sounds like she's molting. I feel like that can happen at any time of the year, although like with my buns, it tends to be pretty regular-for Ripley, once in the fall and generally also once in the spring. Sometimes more though, like for Taffy, she'll molt every 3-4 months. Inside bunnies do molt, and though it seems like brushing is encouraging the shedding, really it's just getting that loose stuff all out. If you leave it, the bunny will just groom and swallow it, in which case they can get hair blockage. So, just keep up with all the defluffing and it will be well worth your efforts :)

Ok, it just kind of worried me because I thought it seemed like too much fuzz for one rabbit to expel lol!

iv wondered how much is normal too lol. Jen and Peepers both shed massive amounts year round, they turn every thing around white, and never seem to stop, however its like this year round, I'm literally coughing and spitting hair everytime I touch them.

Yeah, Sophie's condo is a real fur fest right now! Every time she shakes her mane, fur flies. Is it also normal that their fur gets a bristly look to it? Her fur doesn't look as shiny and it has a bristly look to it, not smooth and silky like before. And how long is this going to last, does anyone know? I honestly just can't believe the amount of fur, it's 5 times as bad as my cat!

Latest posts

Back