She reallllly doesnt trust me

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1234bunnies777

Reaction score
I just got a new bunny as some of you know she is as sweet as can be but she does not trust me at all she is about 3 months old so still young but I dont know what to do because I have never had this problem I guess all my bunnies have liked me right off the bat.

In the beginning we were doing well she let me hold her she squirmed a little though but it was okay then I took her inside and she had roam of the house but when it was time to bring her back out it was a mad chase around the house because she did not want to be picked up!! During this time though I lost a lot of her trust and she wont even let me pet her:( I am sooo sad what do I do to get her to trust me again??

Thanks so much

Well, it might be that she just got spooked a little. That happened with one of our rabbits. He let us handle him, and then, he got spooked, and he was terrified for the rest of the day. We tried petting him, and then we just gave him his space and the next day, he was fine. Just keep handling her after giving her some space for a day.

It often takes months to gain a rabbit's trust. They are prey animals, after all. Until they're comfortable, they should be kept in a bathroom or someplace where no chasing is necessary. They naturally think you're going to harm them.

I agree with Orlena, confine her running room until she can be picked up and caught without being chased. Derby is a challenge to allow you to pick him up. He loves, loves, loves to be pet, but the minute you pick him up he grunts and fussies. Just keep working at it.

Okay soo updated she runs out to see me and let's me pet her but the second I go to pick her up she freaks out and won't let me touch her anymore grrrrr what should I do??? Keep trying to handle her or let her be?

Okay soo updated she runs out to see me and let's me pet her but the second I go to pick her up she freaks out and won't let me touch her anymore grrrrr what should I do??? Keep trying to handle her or let her be?

a lot of rabbits hate being picked up (sometimes ones that liked it as babies get fussy about it as they get older) ><

a good way to earn trust is to sit beside the cage for a while every day and just talk to her softly to let her get used to you... put your hand up to the cage and let her sniff without trying to reach in there and pet/hold her (beware of exploratory nibbles).

if you can put a pen around the cage or put the cage in a small room like a bathroom, sit beside it (in the pen if you're using one) with the side door open and let her come out to visit if she wants. keep your hands to yourself and see if she'll come up and sniff/explore you. as she gets more used to you, reach out and gently pet her now and then without pursuing if she tries to run away.

also, at three months she's just old enough to start gradually introducing veggies - if you have a leafy green or two, offer one after picking her up so she learns to associate it with getting a yummy treat!

I started working with Oreo this weekend. She HATES being picked up and will claw your arms off just to get away. This weekend I held a handful of dried papaya in my hand. I picked her up and gave her one in my arms.. and then while she was in my arms I opened my hands and let her have a free for all. Then I put her down, left her alone.. and repeat the process a few hours later.. Did this Fri,Sat, and Sun.. by Sunday night she would let me pick her up and not scratch but expected her treat right away lol... slow and steady...

oh yes, food is a wonderful motivator for rabbits!

You can also try laying on the floor and reading out loud to her. They get curious and want to know what you are doing. You will probably end up as a speed bump, which is fun. :)

Back